1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help me decide

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Lurch, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Lurch

Lurch Hi, I'm a gear addict

Apr 21, 2014
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    So it looks like Ive sold the K-3 (quickest sale ever!)

I'm now torn between the EM-5 and the EM-10

Apologies if this has been covered before.

I realise the 10 lacks weather sealing (not a huge issue for me to be honest) and the 5-axis sensor stability. But how much difference does that make?
    I'm after some thought from others who have shot both as to "in the real world" how much different it is?

I like the EM-5, however it is a two year old camera. From the reading I've done the EVF in the 10 is improved (yes?) and the lack of AA filter does make some (yes?) difference.
    If the EVF is improved, then this is a big plus for the 10 for me. Its these actual human interaction parts of a camera that count a lot for me.
    Does the processor from the EM-1 make a big difference?
    My heart says EM-10, but the brain can't make up its mind.

Any other thoughts comparing the two would be greatly appreciated.

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I do not have an E-M10, but I do have an E-M5 and an E-M1. If human interaction is important, then you might prefer the feeling of the buttons and selector pad on the E-M10 as they are reported to be less squishy (and they are a bit squishy on the E-M5).

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  3. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Suck it up and get an EM-1!

I'm a bad influence like that...

Z...

• Like Like x 1
  4. ttomino1980

ttomino1980 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2014
    Slovakia
    I already decided and will get next month E-M10 (currently uses old EPL3)

same as you ...no weather seal is no issue for me as dont have any such lens

Why I prefer E-M10 over E-M5 is that the reviewers says the evf is better even not bigger than EM5, plus better feal of buttons, and better grip

so if you want buy now or your buget is limited same as mine...buy E-M10 and invest in lenses, filters or traveling with camera

if you can wait or your budget is not so much limited ...wait for E-M5 successor ...I think it could come this automn and could have better sensor while the weatherseal an 5-axis should remain

E-M1 you should consider only if you plan to use some 4/3 lens ..otherwise E-M10 is best buy now

just my 2cents :)

5. robw

robw Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 20, 2014
    i am in the same boat (must be catching) but I was looking at this slightly differently... if I get a quality used om-d 5 (which I have found in the UK for £100 less than a new OM-d 10) i have more cash for lenses (I know thats a problem cos I am starting from a 2nd hand position on an old system)..

i was also looking at used lenses (again, reputable UK based camera shops NOT ebay) to get the starter kit I want (dont want to go with the 10 with the kit lens).. I may still be persuaded to do the 10 body only and get the lenses (just couldnt get the 2 lenses 12-50mm and 45/f1.8 I want to start off with)...

anwyay i guess i will make up my mind once i have secured the part ex on my Canon DSLR gear....

6. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Why not wait, like me, for the E-P5 successor which may be announced in the next 2 to 3 months?

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see the answers to your question about the 3/5 axis stabilisation.

7. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    On the off-chance that you're into astro/very long exposure stuff - apparently the EM-5 sensor is slightly better for this (in terms of noise / hot pixels).

8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    There seems to be continuing debate on the AA filter. What is certainly true is that the EM-5 AA filter is so weak that it really doesn't make much of a difference. Image quality is going to be indistinguishable.

The EM-10 EVF has a faster refresh rate and an additional 2mm eyepoint if you shoot with glasses - otherwise no change vs. the EM-5.

You're not likely to notice the 3-axis vs. 5-axis IBIS unless you plan to shoot video.

I think the clearest difference is the lack of weatherproofing on the EM-10 The trade-off is the mushy buttons on the EM-5, but for me that's not a big deal and a worthwhile tradeoff. If you want crisp buttons AND weatherproofing, you need an EM-1. :wink:

If in doubt, follow your heart...

• Like Like x 2
  9. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Make sure you hold each model in your hands, they feel completely different.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lurch

Apr 21, 2014
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    I have actually, but only briefly. I found both to have a nice solid 'heft' to them and the 10 more so. I preferred the dials on the 10 too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

11. Lurch

Apr 21, 2014
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    • Like Like x 1
  12. dhp

dhp New to Mu-43

Apr 15, 2014
    NYC
    Daniel
    I'm unfamiliar with Olympus' product release cycles. Is it pretty much a given that an E-P5 successor and E-M5 successor will be announced by year's end?

13. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    From my perspective unless you really require weather sealing (and will used weather sealed lenses) there is little point to a new E-M5 when compared against the E-M10. Yes the E-M5 has 5 axis IBIS and now can shoot at ISO 100 with the firmware update, but apart from those things, the E-M10 has a more than a handful of new features the elevate it above the E-M5 and for less money. If you're buying used its a different story as I've seem E-M5s go for $450 which would make things less clear cut

14. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    No, it is not a given. And there has even been some talk about the P series going away now that they have the E-M10, but it is only ildle rumors/chat at best. The E-M5 is getting a bit old as a product, as it was released in 2012, and the P5 was released in the summer of 2013, but there have been no clear indications about new bodies that I have heard (and that are somewhat credible).

--Ken

15. Lurch

Apr 21, 2014
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    Didnt the E-M5 just get a mid-life update? The 'Elite' model?

16. db96

db96 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I have the E-M1, but my husband went back and forth between the 5 and 10. He decided the new features on the 10 were more important to him over the weather seal and 5 axis. He also preferred the size, but does use the grip.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lurch

Apr 21, 2014
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    I'm pretty sure I've decided on the E-M10.
    But I'm getting confused on kit lenses. The 14-42 I have on the EP3 is the LR-II. I seem to be seeing the EM10 with that bundled (I think) but some listed with a ED or a EZ?
    Which is the new, funky pancake power zoom model?
    Or should I be looking at the 12-50?
    Or just get the body, use the LR-II on the 10 and invest in some primes? (I've got a second hand 40-150 already coming)
    I do like the idea of the small size of the new 14-42.

18. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    EZ is the "pancake" zoom: http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/lenses/pen-omd/wide-zoom/m-zuiko-ed-14-42mm-f3-5-5-6-ez.html

I've got my 45mm/f1.8 glued on mine. I would buy only body and invest then some primes. But, it depends...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    My personal feeling is that you buy the package that you want. And if they do not have the package that you want, consider a kit lens package if the cost with the lens over the body only is $100USD or less. You never know when you might need a kit lens, either for use or when selling a body in the future.

--Ken

20. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    A couple points which I think haven't been made: E-M10 takes the same battery as the E-PM and E-PL cameras while the E-M5 takes the same battery as the E-M1 and E-P cameras. Might make a difference if you plan to shoot more than one camera.

To me the smaller size of the E-M10 is nicer than the E-M5 with small lenses (eg, 17/1.8) but not as nice as the E-M5 with larger lenses (eg, 75/1.8).

As for lenses, I'm pretty much a prime guy. If you're going to get any of the kit zooms, I recommend the Oly 45 as a second lens.

• Like Like x 1