Help me decide quick If I should buy EM5 mark II tomorrow..

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ramirez, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I'm in a bit of a hurry as I have a wedding to film tomorrow.
    I'm the videographer.
    I'm going to follow the couple through the day. The ceremony, the party etc.
    The end result is going to be in 1080p (which is good as I only have 2 4K capable cameras at this time).

My gear for the wedding:

Panasonic GH4, Panasonic LX100 - 4K capable cameras
    Nikon D610 - 1080p
    Fujifilm X100s - for photos that is going to be inserted in the video

My thoughts about why I could beed EM5 mark 2:

- Better video than D610 (better match to the Pannys)
    - Could really need 4 cameras in the church for better coverage
    - 5-axis IBIS Could help me during the party; Could skip the big stabilizer and move more freely when its crowded

I only have to m4/3 lenses at this time; Panny 12-35 f2.8 (this will be mounted on the GH4) and m.zuiko 45 (will be mounted on EM5 mark 2)

Should I go for it?

I think EM5 mark 2 could give me stunning stabilzed angles with the 45..

Later on when I edit I'll combine the 4K video with the HD ones:

- I get cropping (like extra zoom and angles) from the 4K cameras
    - I'll make everything in a HD timeline in Final Cut Pro

I have little time so I need to get the EM5 mark 2 in the morning, charge the battery and then head to the wedding.

So should I go for it? 4 camera setup instead of 3.
    It is going to cost a little but I have a few video gigs from which I'm waiting to be paid from.

Help me think in a hurry..
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Never switch bodies for a big project at the last minute, if you're not already intimately familiar with it.
  3. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I'm familiar with OMD as I had EM5 (mark 1) before. So the meny system is familiar to me.
  4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    It sounds like you have some good reasons for buying it. Go ahead and get it.

Don't use it on a paid gig tomorrow. Use it on the next one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I agree that learning a new camera on a big job is probably not a great idea. Picking up a new camera on the way to the wedding seems like a bit of a recipe for disaster.

That said, it sorta seems like you've already made up your mind and are simply looking for validation of your GAS here. I've never tried to capture a wedding day on video, but using four cameras seems a bit like overkill to me. You don't mention a second shooter -- are you planning on doing this all on your own? If I attempted that with four such disparate cameras, I think my head would explode (but then professionals can pull off all sorts of things I'd never attempt).

It seems like you're wanting the E-M5ii to at least partially replace the D610, and I'm not sure I understand what advantage you feel it will provide. Yes, the Olympus has fantastic IBIS, but couldn't you just keep the shutter speeds up on the Nikon by boosting the ISO? EDIT: Nevermind. I re-read your post and see you're planning on using the Olympus for video.

To me, it seems like any marginal advantage that the shiny new camera might provide is offset by the challenges it introduces, and that says nothing of the price tag. If you want the new camera, I think you'd maybe be better off picking it up on the way home from the shoot.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I love the dichotomy of opinion between this thread and the duplicate. o_O
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    Personally, I would never take a new camera to a paid gig. Even coming from an E-M1 before purchasing the E-M5 Mk.II, it took a couple weeks to get my fingers and muscle memory to become familiar with the new camera as well as setting up the numerous Fn buttons exactly to my preferences.

If you want the camera, by all means it's a great camera. I'm just not sure you'll be familiar enough with the camera to be able to use it with 100% confidence on the first day.
  8. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I am with some of the others above - I think the new camera would be too much of a distraction at the event - you would spend too much time trying to set up the new camera even if it is very similar to others you've used and this would be to the detriment of the results you would otherwise achieve with the other cameras without the added complication
    Keep it simple for this one - buy the new camera after the event and get used to it before you use it for the next one
  9. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    I'm not a videographer, so this comes just from (my) common sense:

- Do you have enough time to learn what you need (video setting, etc.)? Or are you just adding confusion to an already complex, and fast, situation?
    - do you have enough supports/tripod for all these cameras? I suppose you are going to leave some cameras fixed, otherwise how can you use 4 cameras at the same time? Maybe you are not alone.
    - one single battery is enough?
    - do you have enough sd cards?
    - if you plan to buy it anyway in the near future better before then later (except for potential savings)
  10. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    If you are only shooting video with it I don't see a problem. Charge the batteries and then get it set up for video the way you want it. As this is run and gun style video I doubt you will be using full manual mode so organise your settings ready for you to stop and start recording.

I use Olympus for my video work. One of my favourite lenses on the ibis body is the 7.5 fisheye. Just set the focus and off you go. Great for the end of the wedding when everyone is giving hugs and fabulous on the dance floor at the reception.

Do you have a vimeo site. Interested to see your style.
    Maybe we could share ideas.

My vimeo site is

The Toby and Bree wedding is my sons (did both stills and video for them). This is the first edit ... need to upload the finished edit but you get the idea with this.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Do it! The sign of a real pro is being able to adapt and produce when the pressure is on! Since you're doing video, just menu dive the video section, set that up and start recording! Plus you have the GH4 to get the main footage, the E-M5II will make awesome b-roll, but if you fumble at least you have the GH4 to fall back on. ;)
  12. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Please make sure you get atleast 2 batteries. I shoot with my EM 5 II with the battery and hand grip and the batteries last quite a bit. Although it took a few charges to break them in.

I say get it, but use what you are most comfy with probably the GH4 for the main shots, but it will be cool to walk around with the EM5 II and have that IBIS going. I love how smooth it is with Nocticron while walking around or just standing still. Obviously the wider you go the smoother the footage will be while in motion, unless you are going for a certain look (shallow DOF, etc.).

Good luck!

Post some final results of the wedding!
  13. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    Agreed with others opinion above. Quite risky to buy new camera on one day before big event. Needs time to adapt.
  14. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    It's only a blooming camera, I think we can trust the OP to operate it on a brief acquaintance.

The 45 is an excellent wedding lens, besides. Shame not to have a body for it.
  15. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    You're the professional videographer and have to ask such a question? How well do handle things when they don't go as expected? In the worst case scenario can you still WOW the customer, or end up with something that is just OK?
  16. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    What was the verdict? Did you get the new camera? If so, how did it go?
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    What if you just get the 42.5mm Panasonic instead ? Would that give the same stabilization for video on Panasonic body?
  18. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    The OIS on the Panny is great, but the IBIS of the EM5 II is nothing short of amazing. It drastically improves the steadiness of the Nocticron! I love shooting my 25 1.4 and Nocticron on the EM5 II!

Its a dream
  19. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Sadly I hadn't got the time to pick it up before the filming started, was a bit to opitimistic about the time.

I borrowed a D-cam (the D-cam task wasnt really important as it just had to record some creative angle); a Sony A58.
    I managed to get it setup quite fast but I will never complain about Oly or Panny menus after using Sony, my Sony A7 dreams
    took a fall from this. Those who like Sony are free to do so but Sony isnt for me.

I wish I had got the EM5 II with me though as the party after the ceremony was crowded (as these parties use to be).
    Couldnt use shoulder rigs or tripods. Had the GH4 and LX100 that I used handheld (very steady hands and no breathing!).

I've ordered the EM5 II and it will be here in about a week for future work.

My "video" cam lineup will then be like this:

"Strict" 4K:

A-cam - GH4
    B-cam - LX100

"Mixed" 4K & 1080p:

A-cam - GH4
    B-cam - LX100
    C-cam - EM5 II (where my Nikon D610 use to be)
    D-cam - Nikon D610

I think the filming went ok, I'm transfering the files right now.
  20. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Thanks for the update. I'm glad the event went well (despite your not having the new camera).
    Just curious...are you seeing clients who are insisting on 4K output? If so, what percentage?

I would think for this sort of thing (weddings, events, etc.) 1080p would still be sufficient for the large majority of people. But perhaps 4K is more "mainstream" than I realize.