1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help me decide on an edit

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Phocal, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Hello everyone. I enter a number of contest over at http://www.dpchallenge.com and was hoping some of you could help me decide on the best edit for a photo of mine. Or, if I need to rework it completely.

To start off this photo was processed using a technique known as the Orton Effect. Which is basically stacking an over exposed photo with one that is overexposed and out of focus. I cheated and did it all in PS after taking the photo. After doing this I created one color and two B&W shots.

Any input is greatly appreciated and you have my thanks in advance.

Color Version

16699455985_b2d4b7b93e_b.
    Full Color
    by Bohicat, on Flickr

Used Silver Efex Pro and started with the Full Contrast and Structure preset and made some modifications

16698409562_18e727a47b_b.
    Full Contrast and Structure
    by Bohicat, on Flickr

Also used Silver Efex Pro and started with the Full Dynamic Smooth preset

16698408762_dd84803476_b.
    Full Dynamic Smooth
    by Bohicat, on Flickr

Thanks again,

Ronnie

2. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    I love this scene. Such a great mood, and can water get any calmer? The technique you used is something I've never heard of, sounds interesting. It's paid off here.

I know we discussed it on fb already, but I'll repost my opinion here in case anyone else is interested.

I prefer the color version by far. There is a natural warmth to the image which is lost in the monochrome. After I look for a while, the greens start to pull my attention away from the subject a bit. I might desaturate the green channel to minimize the distraction. The red and maroon hues in the tree play perfectly into the tone and warmth of the scene. I might try boosting the red/orange just a smidge, while I was in there pulling back the green, just to see if you can enhance it a little more.

The sweeping shape of the tree really has a sense of movement to it. Perhaps shifting the crop to place the tree on the left side would help highlight that feeling, much like giving a moving animal leading space in a frame.

At that point I'm just picking for the sake of it. It's a great capture, of a striking scene. Kudos!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014

thanks for the great reply. Here is version taking some of your ideas.

16512432160_87c5e31457_b.
    Full Color - Left Crop
    by Bohicat, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  4. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    This is a really special scene. As far as my "best" I would say the third one. I also love the color on the first one, and that could be a "best" as well. But for both the first one and second one (and to a lessor degree on the third) my eyes get stuck wondering how the reflection of the tree appears to be sharper than the tree itself. Maybe this is just due to the interesting lighting I do not know. The second one also seems to be over-processed in the left sky and its reflection for my tastes. Thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
  5. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    Ok, now I change my mind, the "Left crop" version is just lovely!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Thank you very much for your reply. It is odd how the reflection does appear to be sharper. Think it has to do with the Orton Effect I used for the photo. Which for the contest I am going to enter is a requirement for the photo.

7. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Thank you :)

8. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    I do like the crop a little better off center. The elements on the water on the right even lead you in to the tree. Nice!

• Like Like x 1
  9. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I would vote for the colour version for sure and the left crop is definitely better imo. Great atmospheric shot with a cool effect. Good luck.

Check out Orton

• Like Like x 1
  10. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Thanks and thanks for your help with it.

11. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014

Thank you very much.

12. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    B&W and a square crop.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  13. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I use to love square crop but IG has kind if ruined it for me. That said I do post a lot on IG.

Will have to give a square crop a try.

14. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm a big B&W contrast fan so I liked the second edit. However, the banding in the water and sky really kills it. The third edit is very nice. I think I would like color if there was a little more of it overall. As it is, I think B&W almost seems more natural.

As it is, I would try something similar to the third one with a little more contrast and definition. Also, maybe was the left crop to add a little more motion.

On a whim I would trying flipping the image, just to see what would happen when the water and the sharp reflection is up.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I also like B&W high contrast photos, will see if I can get rid of the banding (think I will have to selectively increase contrast to keep it from showing up in the water). Not sure I will be able to accomplish that under the rules for the contest tho. The left crop was for the motion and think I prefer it over a more centered one. I did flip it and it just seems weird to me. When ever I try to flip or mirror a photo it always bugs me because I know that it should be the other way.

16. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Well here is the final image. After a lot of thought, messing around, and trying everyones suggestions I went with the color version but in a square crop. I had decided on the color version and when I cropped it square for IG I just loved how it looked in that crop. So, decided to go with the square crop as the final image.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1