1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Help Me Decide On A Neck Strap (or Wrist Strap!) - 4 Options

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by JStheoriginal, Mar 16, 2013.

1. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    i'm trying to figure out what neck strap i should get for my OM-D E-M5 that's on the way!

I currently have the Oly E-620 and used the strap that came with it...thinking back...not sure why I didn't get a different one because it really dug into my neck!

[​IMG]

Soooo I want to get a better one for the OM-D.

Here's what I've narrowed down to so far using some suggestions from this other thread called https://www.mu-43.com/f67/straps-451/:

Neck Strap Options

Option 1: Wapiti Spike Strap
    Wapiti Straps - Handcrafted camera strap for the Photojournalist
    Price to my door in Canada: $30
    My thoughts: Least pricey, looks more traditional, but should be quite comfortable.

il_570xN.402524385_4m7t.

Option 2: Camera Strap Hand knotted Cord (opart etsy shop)
    Handmade Camera Straps Unique straps for cameras by opart on Etsy
    Price to my door in Canada: $62.50
    My thoughts: Most pricey, but very nice look and should be quite comfortable. Quality.

different colour...but this image shows it best.
    il_570xN.405763045_ojtp.

Option 3: Leica Carrying Strap with Anti-Slip
    Leica Carrying Strap with Anti-Slip Pad for R & M 14312 B&H
    Price to my door in Canada: $57
    My thoughts: Pricey, and looks boring, but should be comfortable...

Option 4: Gordy's Camera Neck Strap
    gordy's camera straps
    Price to my door in Canada: $36 ($49 with neck pad...is it needed???)
    My thoughts: Quality and looks great. Most minimalistic of them all. Price gets up there if the neck pad would be needed (since the cord is thin)...is the OM-D light enough not to need it?

tumblr_mdvbqwENmO1qzkl4oo1_1280.

OR

Wrist Strap Option

Is a wrist strap what I should get instead? I've just always used a neck strap so I don't know any different. Why do you like using a wrist strap instead? And if you use a wrist strap...do you only use a wrist strap?

Options 1, 2 and 4 have wrist-strap options.

Thanks for the help all! :drinks:

2. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    PA
    I can comment that I really enjoy my Gordy's wrist strap, the quality is outstanding, so I have no doubt that if you go in that direction for a neck strap (with pad) you will be pleased. For a neck strap I used an OpTech Envy with my E-PL1, but have since moved on to a sling strap (Black Rapid Metro) and prefer that method much more than a traditional neck strap. Good luck with your decision!

• Like Like x 1
  3. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    I just checked out that black rapid strap...nifty!
    Do you find that it makes your shirt ride up at all? In the video I watched it looked to do that a bit...

4. ihateggb

ihateggb Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    New Zealand
    I love my artisan & artist red acam 103 cloth strap. They now have a newer model "easy slider".

However if you use a shoulder bag most of the time, a wrist strap would be better (less likely to get in the way).

• Like Like x 2
  5. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I would pass on the Gordy's neck strap. I have one and its thin and it starts digging into your neck. Instead go for a Gordy's wrist strap.

I personally use a Crumpler neck strap which has lots of cushioning.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    This is the current sling bag I use...works well!

61OR3DcjgSL._SL1001_.

Would a sling strap get in the way (probably)?

7. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    If you use a neck strap you can walk around with your hands free and the camera hanging from either your neck or shoulder. You can wear the strap around your neck, over the shoulder, or sling style across the opposite shoulder with the camera crossing the body. Every one of those 3 options has its adherents, and those who will tell you that way is the wrong way.

If you use a wrist strap you're either going to have the camera dangling from your wrist or you're going to be holding the camera in your hand. Either way one of your hands won't be free unless you put the camera down or into a bag of some kind.

Some people are comfortable with a wrist strap, some aren't, and some can use either.

Usually a wrist strap or a shoulder strap is an "either/or" option. If the wrist strap attaches directly to one of the strap lugs on the camera body, you need to remove it from the camera if you want to attach a neck strap, and then you have to connect the neck strap. If the neck strap attaches directly to the strap lugs on the camera body, it's the same process if you want to swap to a wrist strap, remove one strap and instal the other. It's not a quick process. There are some companies, I think Optech is one, who make "removable straps" which have a clip which attaches to each lug on the camera body. You then clip each end of their neck strap into one of the clips so it's very quick to connect and disconnect the strap. They also make wrist stapes which connect to the same clips except you only clip the wrist strap to one clip. If you're not using a strap you can disconnect it but you leave the clips attached and dangling for easy reattachment of a strap when you want it, and you always have one clip dangling loose if you're using a wrist strap. That's the only easy way to swap from one strap to another that I've seen and I haven't used one of those strap types so I don't know how well they work.

Sling straps tend to attach via the tripod thread at the base of the camera and they are another option, If you use a sling strap you're probably not going to want to have another strap dangling from the camera strap lugs because it will get in the way, especially a neck strap.

So basically I think the first thing you have to do is to decide how you want to carry your camera, and if you want to be able to swap between one strap and another or if you're just going to be using only one sort of strap. If you're going to be using 2 sorts of strap, then you need to consider how the straps fasten to the camera and how easy it is to swap from one to another. That will be a big factor in your choice. If you're going to use only one strap and it's going to stay on the camera, then your decision making process is easy. You don't have to worry about how quick and easy it is to install and remove the strap because once you have it on it's staying on so a bit of "pain" during the installation isn't a big issue. What you're concerned about is solely how comfortable the strap is while you're using the camera. If you're swapping between straps you have to worry not only about the comfort of each but also about how easy it is to swap from one to the other.

There is also one other sort of strap, a hand strap, which uses an anchor point on the side of the camera and another on the base on the same side. Your hand slips between the strap and the camera and you have to hold the camera at all times while using it. Olympus make a wrist stap for use with their grip for the E-M5 but it requires the grip since the camera doesn't have an anchor point on it's base. The only place there is a base anchor point is on the battery section of the grip. You needn't consider a hand strap for a lot of cameras because they don't have the second anchor point but it is an option if you're using the E-M5 with full grip on a regular basis.

So, first decide how you want to carry the camera then choose your strap, or straps, to suit that decision.

• Like Like x 2
  8. akhyar

akhyar Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 16, 2012
    I'm also using A&A 103n, but in black.
    Still confy carrying the OM-D, RRS grip, Pan 12-35 and FL-600r

9. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    Well I was just at Disney World and would not have wanted to constantly have to hold my camera (i.e. wrist strap option...). I let it dangle from my neck and be ready to pull up when needed without having it put away in my bag nor in my hands the whole time.

I really like that sling, though...it kinda gets the camera out of the way (with neck straps it's always on your belly with the lenses sticking straight out).

Decisions, decisions!

10. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I have Gordy, it's very nice. Feels very natural and raw and minimalist and strong. all the good stuff. I didn't get the neck pad. Felt it would break the flow. I mostly wear it bandolier style. unless you wear it shirtless, it shouldn't really bother you. Also sometimes, I wrap it around my hand to use as wrist strap. Pad would definitely get in the way.

• Like Like x 1
  11. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    • Like Like x 1
  12. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

BlackRapid Wrist Strap + BlackRapid FastenR-3

bk_wrist_3.

13. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    Good idea...but sometimes my boyfriend carries my camera sling...so I'd need something separate.

14. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    With those ones that attach on the bottom...how do you set the camera down on the table if you sit down?

15. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

You set it on one of the sides, if you have a long lens. If not, just set it on the LCD / Back (you'd need a screen protector).

16. rozza

rozza Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    New Zealand
    I'm sure it could still sit on the table upright, touching the table at three points - the screw-in strap lug, the bottom-side corner of the body, and the front lip of the lens.

17. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    While I really dig the looks of vintage leather straps (have plenty of Matin, Gordy, A&A myself), I usually come back to those that have cloth lugs. Reason being is, that those leather lugs that connect to your camera via a keyring of some sort are too stiff and don't fall into place like cloth under use. It reall bothers me after a while that my fingers have to adapt and not the other way round, i.e. the strap to my fingers. I prefer smooth operation before looks.
    Just something to consider.

18. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    PA
    I don't find that it bothers my shirt too much, but then again, I just started to use it not too long ago, so I can't say 100%. I actually have a smaller version of the Tamrac bag that you posted, and find that the sling strap combines much better with that bag than my neck strap did. I can also just leave the wrist strap on the camera and it doesn't really get in the way too much...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have used the Leica straps on different bodies for over twenty years. I like them because they are light, tough, have no exposed metal rings, and they double as wrist straps if you set them up properly when adjusting the "slack". Make that pocket large enough on the right side so you can slip your right hand through it, and it should function similarily to a dedicated basic wrist strap.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  20. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013

You consider it boring, I consider it inconspicuous. :) I often see straps that overpower the camera and visually steal the show.

The image they use for selling it was blasted with flash, raking across the surface, and make the logo more visible than it is. Seeing the actual product, logo is not in script but in block letters; it's black on black so that the letters hardly show.

I got the Leica because I like having a strap that can be easily removed at will for tripod work and not leave anything hanging off the camera. It's an exceptionally strong strap that will not fall off for one that is so easy to remove. When the strap is on, it takes practically zero space in the camera bag and doesn't need to be arranged within the bag so that the bag can be closed. The pad is grippy enough for shoulder carry, but thankfully not as grippy as the Up-Strap.

• Like Like x 2