1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help me decide my next purchase!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ryansinibaldi, Jun 4, 2012.

1. ryansinibaldi

ryansinibaldi Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2012
    I typically don't have a ton of money to spend on my hobbies with a baby on the way. I've gotten a couple bonuses at work and after sticking some money away I have a little money to play with. I really don't want to spend over $175 on my next purchase so here are some ideas:

New VF-3 ($165)
    Factory Demo VF-2 (if Cameta gets any in stock :()
    Panasonic 14mm ($160ish on ebay)
    I've also considered the Sigma 19/30mm

As of right now my only native lens for M43 is the MK1 kit lens. I do have quite a few adapter lenses (8 I think) so I can see how a viewfinder would help a bunch on my E-PL1. I'm so torn between the great/cheap 14mm considering I do like wide lenses. I wish I could afford a brand new VF-2 but I imagine a VF-3 wouldn't be so bad considering I haven't used the premium VF-2.

EDIT: I'd probably purchase a used VF-2 off here but I refuse to use Paypal after getting the s*** end of the stick after a seller sent me an empty box years ago.

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I use a Delkin pop-up shield on the LCD rather than an EVF - it works well in bright light. That way, you could also buy the 14mm which is a very nice walk around lens.
    Incidently, I use a credit card on PayPal which doubles the buyer protection and have never had a problem that cost me money. One or the other has refunded my money in a dispute. :cool:

3. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    That sounds like a tough choice...here are a couple of my thoughts. When I got a VF-2 for my E-PL1 it really felt like a *major* upgrade, and I found that I much preferred being able to shoot with the camera right at my eye. Plus I've used the tilt feature of the viewfinder more than I expected. On the other hand, the 14mm is a great little lens with fast AF even on the E-PL1.

4. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

I just added the VF 3 to my EPL1 and it made all the difference in the world and it transformed the EPL into a new camera.
    I choose the VF3 because of the price and because it comes with a warranty vs buying a used one.
    I also like the idea of it having a lock mechanism unlike the VF2.

I don't know how you feel about the tele end of lenses but Cameta has some good deals on the Olympus 40-150mm which is a great lens to have.

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Since you have a number of adapted lenses I would vote for getting an EVF. The VF2 is higher resolution but the VF3 locks in place. Either one will be a HUGE upgrade over the LCD.

Another option would be look for a used G1. That would give you an EVF on par with a VF2, and a second body to boot. I use a lot of adapted lenses and I find the mini-DSLR body style a huge plus in that regard. It's very stable and comfortable to hold. I started off with an E-PL1 and VF2 and while it is a very good kit but as soon as I played with a G2 that mini DSLR body became my body of choice for adapted lenses (even without IBIS).

6. joysmahal

joysmahal Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Personally, I'd go with the Panasonic 14mm. It's a great performing lens, especially for the price. It's also a good lens for taking videos which might come in handy with your upcoming baby.

Best wishes for a healthy baby and smooth delivery.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'd go for the VF-2. It's quite nice, especially for manual focus. And the refurbs. are no more than the VF-3 is new (I've yet to see any VF-3 refurbs). The only downside is the lack of a locking mechanism, but a bit of string or rubber band is more than sufficient for that.

DH

8. ryansinibaldi

Mar 9, 2012
    I can't seem to find any VF2 refurb/demos. I know this has been probably asked a million times but is the VF2 that much better than the VF3?

9. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    I have a VF3. I like it and it works fine; I know that the VF2 is "better" resolution wise but IMO the resolution of the 3 is plenty good enough to do the job it needs to do. I thought about the VF2 back when I decided to plunge into MFT with the EP3 but I just didn't like the VF2s appearance, larger size, and the reviews of how it would pull off/fall off of the camera. Rubber bands and/or tape is not my idea of how to make a camera function properly though I realize lots of people have no trouble with the concept.

I shoot 99.9% of the time with the VF3 as opposed to the screen and I have never found an instance where greater resolution would have made any difference/improvement in composing and taking the shot. And I'd rather have my viewfinder ON the camera as opposed to laying on the ground somewhere! :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    The VF3 is probably fine, but just for an addition data point I have owned the VF2 for about 6 months now and it has never once even felt like it was close to popping off on its own. It doesn't "lock" on but it would take a significant bump to jar it loose.

11. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I think that varies. I've had two VF2s and one stayed on like it was glued in place and the other always seemed like ti was never quite tight enough. That second got knocked off several times...luckily it always fell on carpet or furniture so thee was no harm done. That said, I think I'd till be inclined to grab a VF2 over a VF3. I'm not sure I'd be happy with the decreased resolution of the VF3. Doesn't the VF3 have some better adjustments though?

12. ryansinibaldi

Mar 9, 2012
    I'd really like to go with a VF-2 if I can find one in my price range. Does anyone know a company other than Cameta that has demos/refurbs?

I must say I am pretty displeased with their customer service. It's been 48 hours with no response to my email.

13. ryansinibaldi

Mar 9, 2012
    Well I ended up ordering a VF2 (used but in "EX" condition which is 80-89%) from Keh.com w/ 2nd day air for $195. It was a little more than I had hoped to spend but I'm sure I'll be happy with it. Unfortunately it's black and my E-PL1 is champagne.

It was a really tough choice between the VF2, VF3, Panny 14mm, Sigma 19/30mm and a used Sigma DP1 off craigslist :p.

14. Ryan

Ryan Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2011
    After using my e-pl1 since its release with just the horrible screen, 2 months ago I bought a vf-2 off ebay for 150 bucks shipped (used) coupled with the 45mm 1.8 always, it totally changed the camera into a new one. I was about to buy the om-d but stopped as like I said it made it into a whole new camera..so now I can wait a few months and see whats cooking :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I'm sure you won't regret getting the VF2, I've had mine for a year(I bought it from Dixeyk) and it sits tight on every body I have or had(E-PL1, E-P2, E-P3 & E-M5). I think the issue is a variance in the hotshoe not the VF2. If it is loose fitting, you can make it fit tightly by using a small piece of tap placed on the bottom of the finder, and this solution isn't visible and does not take away from the appearance. The difference in IQ is still worth the hassle as I found the VF3 eyepiece is useless with glasses, and there is no optional eyecup available for it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ryansinibaldi

Mar 9, 2012
    I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who provided some insight. As expected I am VERY happy with my VF2. I don't regret getting it over a Panny 14mm at all. It basically transformed the camera completely. I'm not sure I'll ever get another native lens because I'm having too much fun with my legacy glass.