help me decide if I should upgrade from from EPL2/EP3

wattseee

Mu-43 Regular
Hi All, I've been happily using an EPL2 and EP3 for the last couple of years but have been presented with a couple of options to upgrade.

1) OM-D E-M5 body for A$450 (silver, excellent condition, ~5500 shutter count).
2) OM-D E-M5 body + 12-50 lens + FL-LM2 flash for A$600 (black, vg condition, ~22,000 count)
3) Something else?...suggest away. (Maybe E-M10..or EP5)

It's a case of I can afford it, but guess I don't really 'need' to upgrade. If I were to upgrade the chief benefit to me would be better low light performance I think. I'd sell off either the EPL2 or EP3, plus my VF-2

I already have the pana 14-45 so undecided whether to go for option 2 and get the 12-50 for weather sealing. I do like my 14-45 though and the relatively small size compared to 12-50 appeals to me.

My use is purely casual/amateur. (90% of recent pics have been of our 1st born, now 11months old)

So..given to options and my situation what would you recommend and why.

thanks in advance.
chris.

popiT

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hi Chris,

Congrats to your your 1st born child.

I would consider 1) as much less shutter count.

I assumed you mostly shoot indoor of your child. 12-50 is a little slow, I would get a fast prime in the 20/25 range and use ambient/window light get close up of your child. When he/she gets bigger and starts to move faster, the fast prime will help better. And those primes are small size too.

flamingfish

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Emily
I recently upgraded from an E-PL3 to an E-M5 and have been very pleased. For me the decision was motivated by the improved IBIS, but as it turns out, I'm really loving the EVF. I'd say go for it.

I happen to like the retro look of the silver model much better than the black, so I'd vote for #1. I have the 12-50, and have been having a good time playing with it, but since it sounds like you're going to want to shoot a lot indoors, I agree that you might be happier with a fast prime instead.

wattseee

Mu-43 Regular
Hi Chris,

Congrats to your your 1st born child.

I would consider 1) as much less shutter count.

I assumed you mostly shoot indoor of your child. 12-50 is a little slow, I would get a fast prime in the 20/25 range and use ambient/window light get close up of your child. When he/she gets bigger and starts to move faster, the fast prime will help better. And those primes are small size too.

that's what I was thinking too. 22K count is very very high.

Yes lots of indoor, natural light shots. I like having flash for emergency but rarely gets used.

I've got pana 20 which essentially lives on one of my bodies. 14-45 stays on the other most of the time. Also have the Sigma 60 2.8 which takes a lovely pic (it's taken over 'portrait' duties from a Minolta Rokkor 50 1.8).

thanks.

M4/3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'd get a low shutter count (less than 5,000) E-M5, or E-M10 as those bodies will enable you to shoot at much higher shutter speeds indoors and with less noise in your photos at higher ISO's due to their advanced image stabilization and larger sensor. The E-P5 is another option if you'd rather keep using your VF-2 instead of having a camera with a built in viewfinder.

wattseee

Mu-43 Regular
I recently upgraded from an E-PL3 to an E-M5 and have been very pleased. For me the decision was motivated by the improved IBIS, but as it turns out, I'm really loving the EVF. I'd say go for it.

I happen to like the retro look of the silver model much better than the black, so I'd vote for #1. I have the 12-50, and have been having a good time playing with it, but since it sounds like you're going to want to shoot a lot indoors, I agree that you might be happier with a fast prime instead.

cheers. I am very very tempted by the silver. I think $450 is a great price if it's in good condition.

Built in EVF would be good I think. I only strap on my VF2 occasionally but I think if it was built in I'd use it a lot more. The E-M5 EVF is better than the VF-2???

I like the idea of the weather sealing of 12-50 but not convinced I'd make much use of it. I guess if I want it there'll be plenty of 2nd hand options around.

cheers

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'd sell off either the EPL2 or EP3, plus my VF-2.
Before you sell off, just be aware the new stuff isn't better in every way.
I would advise keeping them for at least a month after your new camera purchase.

Already owning the VF-2 means you can also go for e-pM2 or e-pL5 for cheap alternatives with the new sensor.

E-M5 EVF is practically identical to VF-2

Declan97

Mu-43 Veteran
Since i also had this kind of thought, and situations so i'd like to join:)

-EM5 : sc tba but for sure 4-6k (it could be with 12-50+ZD 40-150+MMF2) BO : $521 or with all $652-700
-EPL5 : new for $390

Since im shooting with EPL2+EVF2(would selling this if it goes to em5) with ZD lenses, with ZD 14-54 MK II, i thought if i'm choosing the bundle i will sell the 12-50&40-150+MMF2, your thought?

Latest threads

Top Bottom