Help me choose what lenses to keep

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by peeetah, Nov 12, 2011.

1. peeetah

peeetah New to Mu-43

Apr 3, 2011
    So i just had a bit of GAS over the last week.
    I now have:
    - Olympus 14-42 with epl1
    - Olympus 14-42 with epl2
    - Olympus 17mm f2.8
    - Olympus 20mm f1.7
    - Olympus 45mm f1.8
    - Olympus 40-150mm
    - Panasonic 45-200mm

I want to make my collection a littler smaller, but im not too sure what to get rid of.
    The main things i shoot are:
    Social events
    Lots of low light things

I havent had much experience with alot of the lenses since i just purchased most of them over the last week. The most experience i have is with the epl1 kit lens and 17mm which i used for over a year. Please let me know which lenses are best for each application.
    You can also suggest a lense i dont have as well as im happy to acquire new stuff.
  2. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    keep the 20, 45, and 40-150mm thats a perfect set already.
  3. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    I have the panasonic 20mm 1.7 and it's fantastic for low light photos. I have had luck with night-time cityscapes as well as low light indoor shots. At an indoor car event (Barrett-Jackson) I found it to be a natural focal length for walking around and photographing cars on display. It's small and doesn't draw much attention. It is by far my favorite and most used lens so far. Don't give this one up!
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Depends how much you want to cut down.

I'd keep the 20, 45 and 45-200. I'd also consider keeping one of the 14-42s for WA if you like to do landscape shots.
  5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    2 Cents.

Since it appears that you only have Olympus bodies, I'd get rid of the Panasonic 45-200....
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would do as dixyek says, and the 14-42mm I would get rid of would definitey be the one from the E-PL1! That was the worst ki lens put out for the PENs. The older ones (E-P1 and E-P2) had a nice metal mount, while the newer MSC ones (E-PL2 and newer) had significantly improved internal focus (faster, quieter, and no wiggly barrel). The one that came with the E-PL1 was an oddball that had the worst of both worlds.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X2 - because if anything I would like more reach than my 45-200, but if you don't need the reach, the 40-150 is probably a better lens overall.

Personally, I would just put all the money you would otherwise spend into a savings account for when the new bright zooms come out.
  8. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    As far as camera bodies go, the E-PL2 is worlds better than the E-PL1, in terms of everything. So, we now have a camera body for you to hold on to, and you might as well keep the 14-42 kit lens, for convenience. Sell the E-PL1 with its kit lens.

Now, you should try out the 17mm, but be prepared to write it off. It's widely considered to be a relatively poor performer, compared to what you expect from a prime (non-zoom) lens. So, see if you like it, because some people put up with the performance issues because they LOVE that particular angle of view. Personally, I'd sell it, especially since the 20mm performs so much better and is close enough for me.

I would say to keep the 20mm and 45mm lenses. They're both solid performers and have a place in every m4/3 shooter's kit, be it a beginner or full-pro setup.

With regards to a telephoto zoom, try out both the 45-200 and 40-150mm lenses. You have to decide which you'd rather have: the smaller size of the 40-150mm, or the slightly extra reach of the 45-200mm. Put the 45-200mm lens on your camera, and then, looking at your screen, zoom it between 150mm and 200mm. Does that extra reach seem worth the size increase? Sell whichever one you want less.
  9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Why is that? I'm just curious. Because of size? I have found my 45-200 was a much better lens than the 40-150 (although it require working with it to learn how to get the best out of it). I also find 45-200 a more useful focal length for the stuff I like to shoot. That said, the 40-150 is a good lens..
  10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree...FWIW the 14 end of the 14-42 II is IMHO comparable to the 14/2.5 in IQ (albeit a bit slower).
  11. peeetah

peeetah New to Mu-43

Apr 3, 2011
    thanks for the suggestions guys!
    I shall be keeping two bodies since my sister wants the epl1.
    Comparing the 17mm next to the 20mm, i now understand why people prefer the 20mm. I would love to keep the 17mm but i have no idea when i would use it. I can always see myself using another lens.
    I really like the improvement of the zoom lens so thats a keeper. I enjoy using it at 14mm.
    Regarding the telephotos, im considering selling them both. I've had the 45-200 for over a year and i think i've used it twice. For me that extra reach isnt so important so i'd go with the 40-150 for its lightness.

Is there anything i should save for? Im thinking about getting a dedicated wide angle lense. Im hoping to travel alot in the next year and would love one for landscaping.
  12. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    The 20 and 45 plus one 14-42, because its small, cheap and lightweight (I use the 20 nerly exclusively but carry the 14-42 around in case I need a wide angle or moderate tele).
    I have no experiences with the other telephoto lenses. The 2,8/17 is obsolete ones one has a 20mm.

My dream combination with regards to money: 2,5/14 - 1,7/20 - 1,8/45.
    The olympus 12mm instead of the 14 if I could afford it.
  13. If you don't use the long end of the telephotos, sell them. Sell the 17, or give to your sister as a compact prime for the purse. Not much point selling the 14-42 with the E-pl1, keep with the body for eventual sale.
    Definitely keep the 20 & 45. For landscapes, add either of the Panny or Olly wide zooms, or the Olly 12/F2 if you think that's wide enough. For traveling, leave the 14-42 at home, the combo of wide, 20 & 45 would cover most things you find.
  14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    The kit zooms are a very useful focal length for travel. It covers a good range and if you get the later Olympus kit zooms or the Panasonic 14-45 they are quite good. Also, the fact that you don't swap lenses is a real boon when traveling. While it's true that the 14, 20 and 45 will give you coverage but during travel convenience is a lot more valuable an asset than you might think.