1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help me choose a WIDe lens for olympus mft

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by avesoriano, Aug 30, 2013.

1. avesoriano

avesoriano Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 20, 2012
    i will be doing street/ travel photography. So far i have a kit lens and a 45mm f1.8. I am now thinking of getting a wide lens.

Im torn between getting 12mm f2.0 and 9-18mm f4.0. initially i am thinking of getting the wider lens 9-18mm because of the difference in the crop factor. I cant help but disregard the wider aperture though jn the 12mm lens.

For the subjects/ theme i have in mind, what should be my priority? Focal length or aperture? Olympus is making it hard for me to decide.

2. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    In your shoes, I would take the 9-18. It is versatile and wide! (I do have the 7-14, 9-18, 12, 14, 12-35, 14-Xx, and so on to choose from, as well.). The 12 is a nice lens and 12 is a good choice for a moderate WA, but I don't consider 12 to be any more, as a focal length. than moderately wide. And for travel photography, as I see things, I find wide lenses to be used far more than longer focal lengths.

3. avesoriano

avesoriano Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 20, 2012
    Thank you for answering. i will note that. 7-14mm sounds amazing. What brand is that? I hope there is a mft lens for olympus with that focal length.

4. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Well the 7-14 is a Panasonic but it fits all Olympus MFT cameras and vise versa.

Personally, I dont think that speed of a wide angle lens is that important for two reasons.

1) As they are wide angle they dont need as fast a shutter speed. Theoretically a 9mm needs half the shutter speed of an 18mm (1 stop) and half again at 36mm (2 stops).

2) Shallow DOF isnt really a factor with wide angles and more usually you want both the foreground and background in focus.

I guess it is slightly different if you do a lot of indoor shots.

5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I agree with robbie... generally, wide angles are used to take advantage of the field of view and the inherent depth of focus; fast speed (wide apertures) aren't typically a very important feature with very wide angle lenses... for a lot of photographers.

Certainly, I can see where some photographers might want to make use of a fast wide angle lens when shooting under dim lighting conditions or for achieving minimal DOF, and if these conditions are of prime importance, then there is nothing in the m4/3 world which will meet this especially well. The 12/2 isn't all that wide, nor all that fast. It is a nice lens, however, if the focal length suits your objectives. For me, it's no where near wide enough to be the widest lens at my disposal.

The 7-14 is a lens which I use almost exclusively as a 7mm prime. If there was a 7mm f/4 prime lens in this format, which yielded such great image quality as the 7-14, I would use it. But there isn't, so I use the 7-14 as a 7mm prime lens and love it.

But I do use the 9-18 much more often, when I don't need the 7mm FOV, because of the useful range of focal length and it is so compact.

I don't see either the 7-14, nor the 9-18 as a reasonable replacement for the other; 9mm is no where close to 7mm in terms of getting wide, and the 9-18 is better suited to general image making than the 7-14 is. So, for me, I like having both lenses.

As I said earlier, however, if I were in your position, given your stated objectives, I would go for the 9-18 and never look back!

6. avesoriano

avesoriano Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 20, 2012
    Thank you for that advise. I tried googling the 7-14mm lens and i saw that there is also one from olympus. Its not for mft though.

Im wondering if getting that with an adapter is better than getting the panasonic version. Have you tried comparing the two? I heard that both will loose its autofocus function when used with my oly omd. Are there are factors to consider?

7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The Panasonic 7-14 will auto-focus on any micro4/3 camera. The four thirds 7-14 from Olympus is larger and heavier and will require an adapter for m4/3. I'd stick with the native lens in this case.

Fred

8. avesoriano

avesoriano Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 20, 2012
    a wide focal length that can autofocus with my omd?, i think I'm solved with getting this one instead. Thank you fred! :)

9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I see things differently. I find normal and tele to be at least AS useful, if not more, than wide angles in MY travel. Usually, just too much "junk" in the way for WA and especially UWA. My 12-35 spends a lot of time at 20-35.

10. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    Don't overlook the Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5 fisheye, which sells new for $260 to $300. It's small and weighs less than 200 grams. The same lens is sold as Rokinon and Bower.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Mu-43 mobile app

11. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    so obviously the Wide Zoom gives you more versatility in the FOV department.

But If you like taking low light shots, indoors or at night, then at the moment your 45mm is the only real option. And the 45mm is a bit "zoomy" for lots of things . . . .

12. huai

huai Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2013
    Please explain.

13. Bacek

Bacek Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    If you need wider fov Pana 20/1.7 will be better for indoor lowlight (except AF speed).

14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I believe robbie36 is referring to the "1/focal length" rule for preventing motion blur ... Focal length has nothing to do with exposure, only f/stop, shutter speed, and ISO

15. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    As an amateur the way I understand it from a 35mm film perspective. The average person can hand hold a camera without showing any camera shake or motion as a ratio such as 1/ over the lens focal length. As such a 35mm lens would not show camera shake at 1/35th of a second or faster, or a 300mm lens would not show camera shake at 1/300th or faster. If you multiply the 4/3's lens by a factor of two to reach 35mm film equivalent the the 9-18mm zoom would be able to hand hold at shutter speed at 9mm of 1/18 or faster and at 18mm 1/36 or faster and not show any camera movement or shake. You really should experiment with your own camera and lens to see if you need to adjust this for your personal use. I used to need to bump my shutter speeds up 1 stop so for me I would need to use a shutter speed of 1/36 with a 9mm lens. Since I got the E-M5 with ISIS I no longer have to do this as the camera compensates for my shaky hands.

16. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    For street photography, consider the 14 f2.5 from Panasonic or the 17 f1.8 Oly. Both are great focal lengths for street work: switch to aperture priority, dial in f8 and you're set, as both lenses will have so much depth of field at that aperture that you won't have to worry if things are in focus. Small, good performers,and a lot less expensive than the 7-14 or 9-18.

17. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    From all accounts the 14/2.5 is an amazing lens at an amazing price - look for them on eBay for around $175 or so. I wish I had the cash for one. I hear it is a fast focusing lens with very nice character.

18. avesoriano

avesoriano Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 20, 2012
    Is it true that the panasonic 7-14mm is with a fixed aperture? I could see in the pictures that ot has a bulbous end. How do you attach a ndl filter?

19. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
  20. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    This'll let you attach solid filters to the lens rear (people are adding Wratten 2A's to reduce fringing, or you could add a solid ND filter if you can find one in size that'll fit). I doubt there's enough room to use a grad ND and aligning it or a circ-pol would be a nightmare.

For a wide prime I love my Samyang 7.5mm fisheye (easily defishes in LR):
    980297_10151729198777176_1927057576_o.

It still won't easily take filters though - the 9-18's better for that.

Attached Files: