1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help me choose a lense

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Salc64, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Salc64

Salc64 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2012
    New York. USA
    Sal
    Well I know we still have some time before spring but I'm going to need it to start saving up. I have 3 nephews that play a lot of sports for example soccer and lax. On the field my o45 just didn't have enough reach but put out some of my favorite pics of family on the sidelines . So given the f1.8 was just rite for me should I invest in the oly 75? Or the p35-100. Im concidering the 35-100 only because let's be real, im going to run out of steam way before that 9 year old does running up and down the field trying to get the shot at the right FL.
    FYI any lense will most likely be attached to my omd. My current lense line up is p14, pl25,o45, kit 12-50. Kit is usually to slow and not enough reach.

2. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    NYC
    The Panasonic 100-300mm f4.0-5.6 would be better suited to shooting soccer. Because of the focal lengths you get plenty of isolation even at f5.6. The problem will be obtaining focus micro 4/3's ability to track + continuous focus is a bit lacking so your going to have to practice to find the technique that works best for you.

3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The best technique that work also on legacy is to set the focus to the are you want and when there is action there just shot in burst mode.
    You will get some out of focus but most will be with.

4. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    Sounds like an excuse for the Oly 75mm; everything I've ready seems to conclude it being one of the sharpest native lenses with the nicest bokeh. It looks really nicely made too. I'd love one but can't think why I need the focal length yet :p You'd pair the 1.8 aperture with really fast shutter speeds to capture sport. I guess it depends how close you can get and how much you are prepared to crop about whether you need something with even more reach. Panasonic are meant to be introducing a 150mm fast prime but assume you need something sooner..

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sounds like you answered your own question. Everything about the m.Zuiko 45mm/1.8 was right for you except for being too short. So get the m.Zuiko 75mm/1.8.

6. Salc64

Salc64 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2012
    New York. USA
    Sal
    Thanks for the advise^. My reasoning for The 35-100 is I don't think I would need any more then the 100mm. After using the 12-50 at 50 I know I can get away with 75 most of the time . But I am also looking for a faster lens

7. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    I used to shoot college soccer and I remember shooting at 300-400mm most of the time. But youre shooting for a 9 year old who play on smaller fields and you can probably get closer on sidelines so the 35-100mm might work better. The 100-300mm is not that expensive at $500 so you can probably pick it up after getting the 35-100mm if you need more reach.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I don't think primes make sense for sports unless you're only going for one particular kind of shot. Especially when it comes to children's sports. You need to be able to zoom in and out easily.

9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    The 35-100/2.8 is the right lens, imo, but what I do is use a Canon 40D + 55-250 for outdoor sports. You can buy that combo used for $500 or less. It is the more appropriate tool for the job of shooting sports. The E-M5 can certainly capture some great shots, but it will not perform as well as a decent DSLR.

So, if I was going to spend $1500 with the need to shoot spring sports I'd grab the 75/1.8 for $900 and a used Canon 40D + 55-250 for $500, with $100 left over for a CF card or two.

10. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I agree. I have an older Canon DSLR with a nice 70-200 2.8 that works great for outdoor sporting events. The only thing I wish I had was more reach at times. In your shoes, I would looked into a used 40D with a lens such as the 55-250 which will be fine for outdoors. It may not work as well indoors, but that is not what you are looking for. The Canon xxD cameras are good cameras and there are lots of used ones out there. As far as using a prime for sports goes, I bought an 85 1.8 for indoor basketball because I was having a hard time getting sufficient shutter speeds at poorly lit HS auditoriums with my 2.8 zoom and you do have to just pick certain areas that you will shoot from your location. The zoom is much more versatile, but when you gotta have the extra light, sometimes that's what you have to do. That's not the case for you, though.

If you absolutely want to stay with your current camera, I'd try the Oly 40-150 because it is cheap and I have read good things about it. I just think the Canon is better suited to sports.

11. Salc64

Salc64 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2012
    New York. USA
    Sal
    I think I'm leaning toward the 75. Maybe both someday. I expect this spring we. Will be able to hear from some people who have experienced using both.