Help me, AOI- you're my only hope

Real Name
Paul
I got into M43 because of a spectacular deal Oly offered way back in what, 2012? 2013? ...for the E-PM1 and underwater housing. That lead me to a PL2 and housing from a friend of mine, which eventually lead to 3 other bodies, multiple lenses (including some tasty SHG 4/3 glass), and my current M1mkI body and housing. Like most of us, I've recognized that there were some dark (but still photogenic) clouds on the horizon in the camera industry. Olympus has long supported underwater photogs with housings, so when the mothership released the M5mkIII without a housing I thought...hmmm...When the M1mkIII came without a housing, I knew times were changing. I really, really don't want to leave the system, and I don't want to give up my Little Tuna and 35-100f2, as well as the 8mm fisheye, 12-40. 30mm macro, et al. Today I found this:

https://www.wetpixel.com/articles/aoi-releases-housing-for-olympus-e-pl9-and-e-pl10

I've seen rumors that AOI has made housings and ports for Olympus for a while now, and this announcement gives me hope that they'll offer a housing for current unsupported OMD bodies. At this price point with these features- man, I'd hold my nose and go PL if they had the 20mp sensor, just for the form factor alone. Maybe...

Although most of us on this forum aren't divers (and why not? You should try it), it does give some hope that other companies see potential in those dark JIP clouds...

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have found that the best value for money in the UW-Photography world is in the used market. I bought my Nauticam EM5mkI housing with dome and a special 12-50mm port that activates the macro mode for about 800€. The Macro Port with zoom gear alone costs that amount new. The announced AOI housing does look quite nice though. People selling whole systems instead of splitting it all up often offer really low prices and UW gear is built to last, so being the second owner is not really a problem.

evilnim

Mu-43 Veteran
Whilst not a diver, your thread title is one of the best I’ve seen in a long while so I felt compelled to provide some positive feedback whilst p**sing myself laughing on the way in to work

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Regular
AOI made dome ports that were accepted by the EM5ii Oly housing, iirc. They were like $1700 so comparable to Nauticam. At least it looks as though their PEN domes are way cheaper.

You can choose from the M.Zuiko 14-42mm or 12-50mm Wide-angle, 9-18mm Superwide, 8mm Fisheye, 30mm and 60mm Macro Lenses.
It's too bad they don't support any of the pro lenses except the 8mm. I also don't know if AOI has zoom gears so that's kind of useless too. I'm just going to keep hunting for a well priced Nauticam housing/port system for my Em1ii.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom