1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Help me answer this OMD question!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by paf_uk, Jul 28, 2012.

1. paf_uk

paf_uk New to Mu-43

Jul 28, 2012
    Hi

I am currently a breath away from selling my canon 5dii bodies and heavy glass and moving over to a couple of OMDs and lenses, but I shoot a lot of weddings and sometimes they are sooo dark. In the past I have shot with 40D and 450D and upgraded each time for noise and speed!

My question is - how compromised will I be with just OMD's at weddings? I know it will cope brilliantly with the brighter shots and all my studio work.

HELP!

Cheers

Paul

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You won't really know without trying (everybody shoots differently). But what lenses/flashes are you using now? Do you rely heavily on C-AF, or mostly S-AF? What sort of ISO do you shoot at?

DH

3. paf_uk

paf_uk New to Mu-43

Jul 28, 2012
    In the main during ceremony it's C-AF

My main lens workhorses are 24-70 L 2.8 and 70-200 L 2.8

I dont use flash during ceremony but have quantum qflash with me

And ISO can range from 1600-6400

4. TDP

TDP Guest

Battery in a 5DII last a long time, the EM5.....not so long :) How many shots do you do during a ceremony?

A spare battery isn't a big deal, but if you shoot with the grip you will have to pull it off to replace the battery.

5. paf_uk

paf_uk New to Mu-43

Jul 28, 2012
    Hi,

I am aware that the battery only lasts about 300 shots, so a grip and batteries is already a given :smile:

On a full day (10-12 hours) i will normally shoot about 1000 images

6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Suggest before selling anything you get (or rent) an EM5 and put it to the test YOURSELF. In the end it's your opinion that counts.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Well, then I think you'll be disappointed switching, at least if you expect to use the E-M5 the same way you're using the 5D2. C-AF on the E-M5 isn't really very good. As to lenses, the 12-35/2.8 is a reasonably replacement for your 24-70/2.8 as long as you're not looking for the shallow f/2.8 DoF look, but the 35-100/2.8 is not yet out (supposed to be by the end of the year). Probably most significant, the E-M5 is a bit more than a stop worse at high ISOs - 6400 is really pushing your luck on the E-M5.

Of course, if you don't mind shooting mainly with primes and can get by with S-AF, most of those issues go away. But that does require adjustments. If nothing else, shooting a wedding with primes is a lot more work...

DH

8. paf_uk

paf_uk New to Mu-43

Jul 28, 2012
    I guess that's the worry!

I have seen it perform beautifully in the studio, nice sharp images.

I was just trying to gauge any users experience of using one at a wedding

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Even if noise levels are acceptable, I think you'll find issues with the AF on moving subjects (like dancers at the reception) in dim light to be problematic.

10. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    i dont think the OMD can replace a 5DMKII (yet!) in terms of high iso and shallow dof. i own both, and though for me its a perfect team there still a difference in between the two.

11. I'm not exactly sure why you'd specifically need CAF. Having said, CAF actually does work on m4/3 cameras to a reasonable level.