1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Help me... 14-150mm II

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by TNcasual, Sep 24, 2015.

1. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I had good luck when I asked the forum to get me a new adapted lens awhile back. So I thought I would ask this as well.

For my first m4/3 lens (after the kit zooms) I am leaning towards replacing the zooms with the 14-150 II. I like the kit lenses, they do me well. However, mainly on hikes, I think the superzoom would be more useful. It would eliminate lens changes, and simply be more versatile. Would I be losing anything in IQ?

Also, I am planning a trip to the BWCA next year. If I had the 14-150 II I would add a used E-M5 for the trip and have a useful weather-sealed rig.

Is this a good decision? Anyone else go from kit zooms to superzooms? Would this be a waste of money?

Thanks for the help.

2. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

This is strictly my humble opinion but, assuming you don't and will not anytime soon have the 12-40mm PRO, the superzoom will quite admirably fill your single lens, hiking needs. Compared to the kit zooms, the IQ loss is negligible. I have "super-z" and even occasionally swap it into the bag for the 12-40mm PRO and the 40-150mm when I need to go extra light or compact. You are more likely to notice the loss of a bit of speed over loss of IQ and that is unlikely to be a concern shooting outdoors on hikes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    If you don't regularly find yourself challenged by ISO limitation of using a smaller aperture, then the superzoom will do you quite well. Like you said, it's weather sealed, the optics are quite good, and it's rather compact. Saving yourself from doing lens changes is quite nice, especially in poor weather conditions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Unless you want to send me one, I doubt I will be in the market for a 12-40 anytime soon. I wish.

Thanks.

5. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Exactly what I did. Plus I carry the 9-18 sometimes. I switched to this setup from the 12-50 + 40-150 because I wanted wider.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Interesting. Do you have any regrets about it? Have you run into issue with the speed or IQ?

7. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    No regrets. Speed is an easy fix with the ISO. IQ is about equal to the previous kit (above). I don't find the wider apertures/shallow dof very useful for hiking. Nor the associated weight penalty. Small and lightweight for me.

8. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

+1.

9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm holding out for a 12-100... :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    I swapped the kit lens and slow 40-150mm for version I of the superzoom. I got it for travel and when I'm with others who don't have patience for lens changes.

Very pleased with my decision.

Also at 150mm and it goes 1:4 magnification making it a decent macro substitute in a pinch.

• Like Like x 2
  11. scott rawson

scott rawson Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2015
    west yorks
    Pleased with my copy...low dim light and raining late afternoon...seems pretty good to me and I cant wait for sun to come out....nice to go out with no bag and just the one lens attatched.
    PB210018.

PB210083.

PB210057.

PB210258.

PB210143.

PB210019.

PB210065.

• Like Like x 7
  12. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I use mine on trips (and strolls) a lot - even though I have the 12-40mm. The flexibility and reach of the 14-150mm II make it a very good choice if you don't want to swap lenses (i.e. outside in changing weather). When traveling light, I usually pair it with a bright prime for low light and a smaller footprint (up to now, the 17mm f/1.8 - in the future, I might choose the 25mm f/1.8 instead).

I actually find the zoom's IQ quite good - not as sharp and contrasty as the better primes and the PRO zoom, but often more than satisfactory. In good light, it keeps up pretty well, especially if the scene offers high contrast by itself.

IQ-wise, I think the 14-150mm II handily beats the 12-50mm - though you'll lose the 12-14mm range, and the wide end is where the 12-50mm is at its best. As for the 40-150mm, I think the 14-150mm II compares favourably - as it should, being about three times the price of the tele zoom around here. Anyhow, as a one-lens-solution, the 14-150mm II holds its own, being at least as good as either of the lenses you have now.

M.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. scott rawson

scott rawson Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2015
    west yorks
    Paired with the tiny 20mm panny..I think it will be a formidable travel combo...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Right on ... The 20mm has better IQ than the 17mm, but renders cooler. The reason why I usually choose the 17mm as a second lens is focusing speed, especially in low light situations. But I agree that the 20mm would make a great alternative, especially if you already have it.

M.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I've had the 14-150 II for a couple of weeks now. Unfortunately, we've had a rainy weekends, too. I haven't used it a great deal.

Some of my first impressions: I think that it will suffice in replacing the kit zooms. It work fine in bright light, it covers the distances well. It does feel very solid and well made. It feels more premium than the plastic zooms. But that is one of the issues I have. It is pretty heavy on the camera. I am used to using legacy glass with adapters, so it isn't out of the ordinary. It just noticeably heavier than those kit lenses. I think I will get use to it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    A couple of examples:

23953573835_828a72681c_b.

23809904432_8875711bf8_b.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I don't think I could ever justify having the kit 14-42 and a 40-150 instead of a 14-150 (or 14-140). Life is too short. My 14-140 v1 didn't cost anything more than the two kit zooms combined did, and having it means that I get shots I wouldn't have if I had any other lens mounted...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Gary_Berg

Gary_Berg Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2012
    As I recall, the 14-150 mk2 weighs the same as the kit 40-150, so overall you save the weight of the 14-42 from your kit.

19. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    284g to 190g is noticeable. I think the 14-150 has a little more weight towards the end, too. So it feels less balanced. I am getting used to it though.

The other great thing is that the MCON works on it.