1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

HELP: M42 lens A/M switch

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by uluru, Jul 12, 2012.

1. uluru

uluru New to Mu-43

Dec 3, 2010
    Hi,
    I'm thinking of buying a M42 Lens but they don't have the A/M switch.
    Would there be a problem? :confused:

I already have an adapter to :43: and m42 lens (with the A/M switch). They work perfect!

i would appreciate any help! :thumbup:

Thanks

2. I've seen two different types of M42 adapters; one with an internal flange to permanently depress the aperture pin when the lens is mounted (for automatic lenses), and one without the flange which relies on using lenses that allow the aperture to be stopped down on the lens itself.

3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

LInk please if you have it... been looking of one

4. usayit

yes.. there is a problem. Because something needs to depress that pin on the back of the lens in order to stop down the lens to the present aperture.

5. I bought mine on eBay but as a ring-type adapter to the Canon EF mount, which I paired up with a m4/3-EF adapter to use on m4/3 as well. I don't have access to ebay right now to find the same or similar adapter. I do remember the listing offerred the choice of an adapter with or without the flange.

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
  7. uluru

uluru New to Mu-43

Dec 3, 2010
  8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
  9. usayit

I am not convinced the one listed in Harry's post has the proper flage to depress the pin on a m42 mount. Pin is further in.

10. The flange on my M42-EF adapter is about 3mm wide. I also have an M42-4/3 adapter which doesn't have the flange.

IMG_6460.

11. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

I have a adapter from Rainbow imaging for M42 and I have a Fujinon 55mm 1.8 and it works well with the adapter and presses the little thing in to use the aperture.
    I got it of Amazon.

12. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I have a Big-IS M42 adapter, only mine came with two inserts, one flanged and the other non-flanged. The flanged insert will definitely bottom out the aperture pin on a Super-Tak. I am sure the one in my link is the same design, only shipped with the flanged insert. Heck, it's only 9 dollars shipped.

If they are real, I was impressed by the pix of the machining equipment allegedly used to make these adapters at the bottom of his ebay ad.

13. uluru

uluru New to Mu-43

Dec 3, 2010
  14. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Just look at the adapter you already own. If it has a flange, it will work with lenses w/o the switch.

If you need more proof, screw one of your A/M lenses onto the adapter. Set the aperture to something small, like f11. If the flange is working, you will see the aperture closed no matter what you do with the switch, and that adapter will work with any lens.