Help, LR 4 wont preview or import the GX7 RAW2 files....

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by silver92b, Jan 2, 2014.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I changed the setting last night so the camera would produce the RAW and JPG files of each shot. Previously it seems it was shooting just JPGs which the LR4 previewed and imported without any problem. Now, the preview panel shows a greyed-out square with a notice that preview is not available. If I try to import them, it just wont work.

I never had this problem with the ORF files of the EM5. Also, iPhoto was able to preview and import the RAW2 files with no issues. I prefer to use LR (which is up-to-date) to processes the files, but many of the features are not available for JPG format files. What can I do? Is there some work around for this issue? Thanks!

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
  3. leftnose

leftnose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    With RAWs, even if the file extension is the same, the file itself isn't necessarily the same. LR4 supports the EM5 because they were concurrent to each other. Adobe is no longer updating LR4 for compatibility with newer cameras. Your LR4 hasn't been "up-to-date" since June when v5 was released and the GX7 was released after that. There is a work around where you convert the RAW to a DNG or LR5 opens GX7 RAWs just fine.

4. Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2013
    Saipan
    Mark James
    I wasn't going to get LR5 and then I got the GM1 so I needed to upgrade. I will say they added a few features that make it more worthwhile and the added features are worth the upgrade cost alone if you use it enough.

5. leftnose

leftnose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Spot healing/cloning in LR5 pretty much totally negates my need for Photoshop.

6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Pretty sure LR4 has that. You must have upgraded from an earlier version

7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    LR5 added the ability to clone/heal out contiguous selected areas rather than just the circle selection of LR4. It's more useful than a simple circular selection tool for doing things beyond cloning out skin imperfections in my experience with it. Still has its limitations where it's time to break out Photoshop, but this has cut that down to a very rare occurrence.

• Like Like x 3
  8. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Just ordered an upgrade for LR5 from Amazon. I hope it fixes the problem.

9. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks!! I didn't know that. I'll see if my google-fu can find a list of all the new stuff in LR5, clearly I've missed some things!

• Like Like x 1
  10. leftnose

leftnose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Yup. I spend less than half the amount of time in Photoshop using LR5 compared to LR4.

11. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    In the mean time you can download the latest version from Adobe and run it in trial mode. Then when your box arrives just plug in the serial number.

Gordon