1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help in buying a lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by GeBathan, Sep 1, 2013.

1. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    Im having difficulty deciding on buying a lens. Saw this ad on a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 for $250, emailed the seller that its a great deal but not in budget right now,suddenly he responded back and to my surprise he offered it for $200!!! he said he needs to sell right away to get a new system. currently i have an Oly kit lens 14-42mm iiR,40-150mm, a couple of minolta lenses (50mm 1.4,28mm 2.8)
    will this be a better low light option than my 50mm f1.4? they said that AF speed is slow so having a manual lens will almost be the same?

2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Sometimes you can use both the wider angle of view and the fast aperture. You also get a little speed because the wider angle is less susceptible to camera shake. I also feel the 20mm @ F1.8 is far better than most old 28's.

For $200, if it's in good shape and not something that was dropped and run over, the 20mm is a great addition to your lens collection.

Did that help push you over?

3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    For that price, you could resell for a profit if the thing is really in good condition.

4. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    thanks guys, I was kinda too late to respond to the seller and somebody offered $250 for it. I should have agreed on the $200 and yes, I could have resell it for more. :mad:

5. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Sometimes it is better to just follow your guts!
    Like the other time I miss the chance to get 14-140mm II for US$500 grrrr

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    For future reference, the AF on the 20mm is not that slow. :shakehead:

7. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    Yes, in most situations it would be much quicker than manual focus. It's slow when compared to the newer fast m4/3rds lenses but still pretty quick when compared to most AF lenses. It's just a little noisy when it does it.

8. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    IMO The large aperture native glass works considerbly better wide open than any of manual lenses I have owned/used. Im assuming you pretty much will be shooting wide open for low light stuff. Most of my experience has been the manual lensesbeing somewhat soft wide open which is not always ideal.