Help ... I can't make up my mind!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JJJPhoto, Jul 14, 2011.

1. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I was all set to place my pre-order for the E-PL3 today but now I keep thinking about the E-P3.

The E-PL3 appeals to me because of the articulating LCD, faster burst rate, lighter weight and lower price.

The E-P3 appeals to me because it fits better in my large hands, has more controls at my fingertips without needing camera menus, it has a built-in flash for wireless flash control while still leaving the camera's hotshoe open for flash or accessories, and it is more "balanced" (because of the extra weight) when using standard 4/3 lenses with adapter.

If Olympus had just given the E-P3 an articulating screen and faster burst rate I just would have ordered the E-P3.

What do my fellow micro 4/3 users think of the E-P3 vs. E-PL3?
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Its just personal preference. I'm going with the EPL3 because the flip screen trumps all for me. I don't think you'll have to menu dive more. When I had an EP2, I used the ring around the 4 way controller for most adjustments and rarely used the thumbwheel, so having a camera with just one ring/dial/wheel is no problem for me. I tend to shoot in Aperture priority, and I'm assuming in that mode, turning that ring will change the aperture. And then pushing a button will get me to ISO, another for WB, etc, so I'm fine with that. I shoot with smallish lenses 90% of the time, don't care about a built in flash at all (rather not have one, actually), and I like small cameras. But that's MY mileage and what I'm basing MY decision on. Which has nothing to do with you, so nobody can help you decide which is more important. It sounds like the basic performance and IQ should be identical, so its really all about the features and which ones work for you.

Good luck,

3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Looks to me like your issue is features vs ergonomics. I'd say for myself, that ergonomics trumps all, as if it doesn't feel right, it won't get used. Same reason I went with E-P2 vs E-PL2, build quality and feel of E-PL2 just didn't do it for me. I'm thinking about the E-P3, but will hold off, after reading a review that stated the E-P3 build wasn't as solid feeling as the E-P2, so until I can hold one I'm staying away. But that just means funding for glass is available...although the new glass coming out doesn't really thrill me, at least. Not at the prices offered now.
  4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Sometimes when I'm in a pickle like this - trying to decide between 2 similar items - I make a weighted checklist. Each feature that is important to me I will give it a weight, of how crucial it is. Then I add up all the weights for the 2 items and see which one scored better.

However, since the majority of the time these decisions are emotional, I take a different tack. Which decision would I regret more? It makes it easier to choose when I view it this way, but usually it also ends up being the more expensive choice. :rofl:

I picked the E-P3. I know it's crazy pricey. I currently have an E-PL1 and I really enjoy it, but the lack of a rotary dial has become a major nuisance for me. When I'm in aperture mode (which is 98% of the time) I almost never change the aperture - it's just too much of a hassle having to push buttons repeatedly. So I'll end up with shots where my DoF is actually too shallow...

Also I figure since I'm upgrading from an E-PL1, mind as well pony up to the more featured E-P3... I feel it would be more of a side-grade to get an E-PL3 (I would rather get the G3 than the E-PL3, but that's me)
  5. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    I find that a better handling camera is more crucial than additional features & even IQ because if I'm fumbling with the camera I'm more likely to miss the shot.

Panasonic seems to have the progression of the camera bodies sorted out better than Olympus there aren't too many instances where you want to pay more to get less.
  6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Not arguing with your choice at all, but you do know that the EPL3 does have a rotary dial, right? As does the EPL2. They just don't have TWO of them, like the EP-1, 2, and 3. The EPL1 is the only one that was completely button driven. I had one for a while as well and found the same thing you do - i just didn't make changes very often because of the hassle involved in first arming the the control buttons and then using them. A dial/wheel/ring is just so much more intuitive (for me at least). So I sold the EPL1 after just a few months (only lost about $100 - a relatively cheap education and I got a lot of use out of it in that time. But the idea of having just one ring on the EPL3 doesn't bother me at all - on the EP2 I got after selling the EPL1, I used the ring around the four way controller almost always and rarely used the thumb dial anyway.

7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yep, I do know pretty much all the newer PENs after the E-PL1 have a rotary dial. :smile:

However (for me) there was also another large factor: LOOKS! Yes, I'm shallow. :tongue:

It was a slightly painful decision between the E-P3 and the G3 for me (am not considering the E-PL3), but in the end I opted for the E-P3 due to quite a few reasons, of which looks and availability were significant factors - can't stand the DSLR hump look and Panasonic is known for their supply issues in the U.S...