1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help! I can't decide on a lens!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by KVG, Aug 26, 2011.

1. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    So heres my problem, I want to get a wide lens and I really like the 7-14, but its $300 more than the 9-18 and now rumors of 12-35 fast lens. I really want the 7-14, but I keep wondering about the options I even looked at the zuiko 7-14 with an adapter. Please give me some input.:polling: I just don't want to regret buying a lens.

Thanks
    Kelly

2. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Tough one, Kelly! If money (and size/weight to a certain extent) were no object, the 7-14mm will always be hard to beat for quality; build as well as image quality. 12mm really isn't that wide, if it's WIDE you're looking for, so the rumoured zoom may not be wide enough for you.

I'd say the Olympus has to be the best compromise of all the options, although 7mm sounds wonderful!

Buy used and you'll never lose much, if anything, if you fancy a change....

3. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I'm no baller thats why I'm over thinking it. I feel the 7-14 is the best fit for me, I'm just trying to justify the $1000 as this will be my lens budget for a while.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Dude, I feel your pain. I can't justify either. I wish someone would make an inexpensive wide-angle prime. I'm assuming the zoom ability adds a fair bit to the cost.

Are there any cheaper legacy options if primes are OK?

5. dayou14

dayou14 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    If you're using a Panny camera, maybe just get the 7-14

Hi Kelly,

I say this as an owner of the Oly 9-18. My one gripe with it is Panny cameras doesn't autocorrect lens barrel distortion in-camera for Oly lenses, so when it gets to 9mm, with various pictures, you will see it.

Having said this, I've had the lens for over a year, and discovered that I shot lightly with it. So I have no motivation to change lens, and the Oly has two overwhelming advantages - it is small & light as hell, and the famous Oly colors you can get it in this lens too.

Here's a sample, shot at 9mm, lightly post-processed in Aperture.

BJ_Great_Weather.

6. No barrel correction on a Panasonic body? I don't think that is the case. Geometric correction is universal across both brands. Whatever barrel distortion remains shows up on both Panasonic and Olympus bodies.

• Like Like x 2
  7. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I was only across the street testing the 7-14 and the pov from 7-9 is huge. The guys at the store were telling me the 7-14 wasn't as sharp and had more barrel distortion than the 9-18. True?

This was a test shot with the 7-14:hail:
    6077050937_82af8907c7_z.

8. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Not really. Because of the 2x crop factor, you have to buy the absolute best of the best wide angle lenses for other formats.

THis EF 10mm zoom is around $500. Amazon.com: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

9. dayou14

dayou14 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    I guess barrel distortion is universal in lenses at this wide angle then. In which case, it becomes a question of whether the extra 2mm (quite a lot of diff I'm told) is worth the extra dough and extra weight.

10. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    I really like the 7-14, and have not been disappointed with it's optical performance. I am not sure what they were talking about about it being soft.

11. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    As an owner of the 7-14, this is one lens I would not want to be without. Yes, it's expensive, but the IQ and build quality is just awesome, single aperture through the entire zoom range, having the ability to go to 14mm FOV is fantastic, it feels great in the hand and reeks of quality when you use it, and you only buy it once... then use it for a very, very long time. I'm confident you would never regret buying the 7-14. And if you ever decided to sell it, surely there will be people eager to buy it from you.

12. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Photography isn't about the gear, but the ability to capture a moment.

Some wise man says.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    False on both accounts. There is little to fault the 7-14 in terms of performance. The barrel distortion (similar to the 9-18 when both are left uncorrected) is automatically addressed by in-camera JPEG processing in any Micro 4/3 camera (Olympus or Panasonic) as well as by the major RAW processing apps (Lightroom, Aperture, Silkypix, C1, Olympus Master, etc). Color fringing is generally well controlled and what little there is gets automatically corrected if you shoot on a Panasonic body and use Lightroom or shoot JPEG. The Pana 7-14 is slightly sharper than the Oly 9-18 when both lenses are set to 9mm, although both are sharp lenses.

The downsides to the Pana 7-14 are price, size/weight (compared to Oly 9-18), lack of reach (compared to Oly 9-18), and inability to take conventional filters due to protruding front element.

I had the Pana and found it to be superior but sold it since I almost never shoot that wide.

14. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    FIXED, Lol

Thanks Amin, it's great to get some input from some one who has owned both. I sounds like the 7-14 is worth it if I will use the wide end. Thanks everybody for the input, it really has helped:thumbup:

15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Well, I don't mean to split hairs (hair splitting forthcoming), but it looks like it's under $450 and that makes it almost half the cost of the Panny. How comparable do you think these lenses are? Obviously the natives will autofocus and be MUCH smaller.....but if one were on a budget and wanted to save some money and didn't mind some extra weight (and how often does one shoot with these lengths anyway) how would they compare?

16. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    It is 10mm instead of 7. You can get the m.zuiko 9-18mm used for around $500, that's what I would go with at around this price.

I have no idea how they compare though since I've never used either of them, but it really doesn't make sense to give up autofocus and an extra mm of width to save a couple of bucks.

17. I just can't cripple my (EF mount) Sigma 10-20mm by depriving it of it's electronic lifeblood on a m4/3 camera. It's proper place is on a Canon.

18. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    If cost is a deciding factor, I would be looking for a used version of either lens. I will echo Amin in that the Pannasonic 7-14 is very good. I do not use it all the time, but when I need it, it is great.

19. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I've been contemplating similar 7-14, 9-18 or even the 12mm and I also took a look at some other UWA Voigtlanders but these seem much slower and also very expensive!

New the 9-18 is around £500 in the UK and I can tell its good as I've never seen it used!
    Similar story for the 7-14, £1100 in most dealers but I've seen a reputable independent dealer doing it for £700, its a lot of cash for any of these lenses especially if its something I'm not 100% sure how much I'd use it!

20. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The Oly 9-18 doesn't come up used very often at all. The Pana 7-14 turns up from time to time when people like me realize that we don't shoot all that wide all that often. With a little patience, you can probably get a 7-14 in excellent condition for ~80% of the new price.