1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Help, I can't adjust the exposure control of my EM-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by silver92b, Aug 2, 2015.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I suddenly see a problem I cannot figure out how to correct. My EM-1 appears to "locked" with a +1.3 exposure compensation setting and my shutter speed control is not responding well...

Here are 2 shots of what the settings look like. I've tried adjusting it to "0" but I can't seem to find a way. Can anyone give me some advise?

DP2M0882.JPG DP2M0883.JPG

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    1. Put switch on back in position 1 not position 2.
    2. Rotate front wheel.

3. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Yep, that's it

4. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I reset the shooting settings and the +1.3 went away. I just tried your suggestion and sure enough, the exposure comp works, but the number does not show up like before. I guess this is what happens when you put the EM-1 down for months and try to use it again...

5. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I like the handgrip-neckstrap combination; is that stock or commercially available?

6. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    It's the Olympus HLD-7 and the GS-5 grip strap. I think the shoulder/neck strap came with the camera.

7. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    What are those two semi-circles around the focusing target?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  8. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    Center-Weighted metering mode

9. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    :laugh1: How long have I had an E-M1...Ages that's how long....in fact I've had two.

:blush: Never ever used CW metering.

Well I never.

Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Isn't it nice that we can keep on learning. :)

I wouldn't normally use CW metering either but I do revert to spot metering if I need to & I have AEL set for that.

11. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    The truth is that even when using the EM-1 regularly, it's easy to just use one set of "settings" and it's a puzzle when one tries something different. I generally use the aperture priority mode and change the ISO, metering settings and exposure compensation to suit the situation. Now when I try to use the flash, everything suddenly becomes a mystery and coursing through the menus is a pretty horrible experience.

I'm not a studio photographer so I am quite ignorant about lighting other than ambient. The problem is that to create those stunning images that the pros produce, it's really necessary to learn and use flash and other types of lights. That's when the "learning experience" begins. It could be fun I guess, but when I'm trying to get results, it's basically a huge pain :(.