Help! GM1 power lever broke off..

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Perry So, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Perry So

Perry So New to Mu-43

Mar 26, 2016
    Took my gm1 out today only to realize the lever of my gm1 was missing... luckily it was still in my camera bag.

Has this happened to anyone and short of bringing my camera back to Panasonic (I'm out of warranty) what can I do to fix it?

I can still turn on the camera by digging my nail into the little tab areas around the shutter button. But this isn't the most convenient or enjoyable.

From the image the back of the lever seems to have some of the black plastic in it.. do you think this looks like the glue/adhesive simply melted?
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    There's not enough detail in your picture (too dark) to tell if the adhesive failed, or the plastic that the ring engages broke off. You can try gluing it back on, but some care is needed. I would suggest a gel type super glue. Apply sparingly and keep it away from the center opening so that the shutter button isn't glued to the ring. A tooth pick is a good way to apply the glue.
  3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yes, that would be exactly my suggestion.

Have you tested to see if the broken off part 'indexes' with the recess? I.e. if you put it back, is there any mechanical key for the button to grab on to / push against? If not, you'll be relying entirely on the shear strength of the glue, which is not a recipe for long-term reliability.
  4. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I've put my GM1 though hell and this finally happened yesterday, apparently it's not entirely uncommon. I was fortunate to find the little ring on the trail not too far back from where I noticed.

I'm going to try a gel super-glue and apply with a toothpick or needle, and it should only need the tiniest bit. You must be very careful because if the glue gets out of the channel it will glue the ring to the shutter or to the body.
  5. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    New Zealand
    Planes are no longer rivetted together but glued. In other words glue can be just as strong.

There are special glues for nylon etc - I had a part in our car that broke and with some special nylon super glue, which needed a catalisator, it was fixed. It will require making enquiries which glue will be the best: the stock standard multi purpose super glue will not be the strongest.
  6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I am a huge believer in modern adhesives. I designed and built my own carbon fiber bicycle frame.

My point wasn't about glue per se, but load paths. If there's a mechanical joint there the glue will be much happier, especially since you are severely limited in the kind of surface prep and the glue you can use on an assembled camera body.
  7. Perry So

Perry So New to Mu-43

Mar 26, 2016
    Let me know how it goes --- / what type of glue/method you end up using !

I think the only part is that silver 'hump' you see on the back of the power switch, otherwise it appears any other abrasive surfaces or the load paths seem to be under the black part where the switch broke off :(
  8. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I ended up using a gel superglue applied to the channel in the switch using a needle, and very carefully placed on the camera. Practice placing it a dozen times or more. I also used the needle before to scrape/remove all the black adhesive that was still remaining in the switch.

So far, so good.
  9. Perry So

Perry So New to Mu-43

Mar 26, 2016
    Good pointer on the scraping off the black stuff with a needle! I tried that tonight, also found if you have a sharp pair of tweezers the type that come with computer repair kits works really well for scraping out that black gunk out. I used tape to help clear it out and underneath in case anyone searches this up -- you'll find 3 crevices where the glue goes in.

I followed the advice with the needle + gel super glue; seems to have worked like a charm! shutter still works; power turned on!
    I'm still a bit paranoid it'll fall off again but it seems to be working fine
  10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Happened to my GM1 too - I used JB Weld epoxy to glue it back.
  11. chicago8c

chicago8c Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2014
    I just had this happen to me this morning. Used GM1 I've had for ~18 months, with regular usage. For those who glued it back (like @budeny@budeny and @Perry So@Perry So), has it been working since? I'm nervous about the whole operation, but figure that if worst comes to worst I can probably find a cheapo used E-PM2 as my tiny m4/3 camera.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  12. Perry So

Perry So New to Mu-43

Mar 26, 2016
    Mine's been working fine since March when I originally posted!
    The trick is to clean out the black gunk with a pin / pair of sharp tweezers and put just enough super glue with a toothpick so into just the grooves so it doesn't spill out and fuse with the shutter button.

So apart from getting super glue in the wrong place, it's otherwise a simple low risk fix; the lever is basically cosmetic there are no moving parts, and it's designed just to fit so it shouldn't be too difficult; just practice practice practice on aligning the grooves to the camera after you clean out the black gunk
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Mine popped off also. But I managed to glue the shutter button also :( very frustrating. Don't rush when doing this! I had to order a whole new top cover from eBay, for about $50 :(

/edit: I investigad a little, it seems that my super thin CA is the source for the problem. The super thin goes EVERYWHERE! Even if you use just a little it creeps in where you don't want. Do NOT use super thin CA! (CyanoAcrylate)
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 1