1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help,firmware update

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by scottyboy, May 20, 2012.

1. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO
    NEED TO UPDATE PANY 45 - 200 LENS ON PANY G3 BODY. I DON'T HAVE A CARD READER/ WRITER AND I WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND HOW TO DO IT ANYHOW.LAST TIME I DID AN UPDATE I JUST DRAGGED STUFF.I CAN'T REMEMBER HOW TO DO IT AS I HAD HELP BEFORE AND MY COMPUTER SKILLS ARE PROBALLY BELOW AVERAGE.AFTER 2 HOURS OF TRYING I SURRENDER!!!!!! IF I REMEMBER IT ONLY TAKES A FEW MINUTES TO UPDATE:confused:

2. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO
  3. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

It's easy

You don't need a card reader.

1. Download the file.
    2. Extract the file to a folder on your PC.
    3. With a FULLY CHARGED battery, turn the camera on and connect the camera to your PC using the USB cable.
    4. Copy the extracted file to the root folder of the SD card in your camera.
    5. Disconnect the camera from the PC, turn it off. Turn it back on and put the camera into the play mode. The firmware will auto load.

That's it.

4. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO
    sounds easy but i'm lost. when i do the download it goes to folder then i click run ,install ,it turns into LIN. file .but i cant run the LIN file. i'm probally up to 4hrs. trying to remember how to do it.also have no idea how to copy extracted file to root folder of card.its not so much i can't update the lens that burns me .its me not knowing how to do it!!!!! thanks for the help.

5. MirrorlessMan

MirrorlessMan Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 19, 2012
    No, don't run the file on your PC.

Take the extracted file and copy/paste it into your SD card (at root level, meaning not into any folders)

Take that SD card from your PC and put it into your camera, turn it on and press PLAY. It will run. Just don't push any buttons while it is updating and make sure your battery is full.

6. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO
    i don't have a card reader.the card can only be in the camera.thanks,keep thinking,i know you guys/gals can get the job done!!!!!! when you say extracted file is that the downloaded file or the LIN.FILE ? can i drag the file from computer to camera as the camera shows up as removable disk (F:) ???? also what is the play button???

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Buy a card reader. $5. http://www.amazon.com/Memory-Reader...U3E2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1337632628&sr=8-6. Staples probably has them next to register for free :)

It's also possible the G3 can be setup in "disk" mode. Read the manual. If it can, then it shows up in the file system. Copy and paste the file onto the card.

If this is all too advanced, then DON'T UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE. If you can't make heads-nor-tails out of this, then you shouldn't be messing with things that can brick your camera. Get thee to a technical friend/relative or camera store.

• Like Like x 1
  8. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO
    UPDATE COMPLETE!!! MY GIRLFRIENDS 17 YEAR OLD SON DOESN'T KNOW CAMERAS BUT AFTER SHOWING YOUR POST AND THE UPDATE SITE HE HAS ME RUNNING.THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP !!!! DON'T GET BIG HEADS BUT YOU GUYS /GALS ARE ALRIGHT.:2thumbs: