1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

HELP! E-M5, LCD stays on (image review) throughout 2-hour shoot! Why won't it turn off??!!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, Sep 22, 2014.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hello all,

So I like doing startrails, which means taking about 200-300 shots back-to-back. The setup for this is usually a 20-30 second exposure, locked remote and burst mode.

Usually (with the OM-D as well as other cameras I've done this with), the image review never pops up, since the camera is too busy taking the photos.

This time, however, the stupid thing NEVER TURNED OFF!!!! The screen was on the whole time, changing the reviewed picture ever 20 seconds.

- This shouldn't have happened in the first place (regardless of image review settings), as the fact that I'm taking a new picture should have cancelled the review.
    - I had image review on 2 seconds, so at the very worst, it should have disappeared after 2 seconds.
    - After a few shots, I went into the menus and turned the image review OFF and that still didn't solve my problem.

Has anyone ever experienced this? What's the solution? This is REALLY bothering me, as it's startrails season in Korea (the air rarely gets clear enough for it, but it does for a month or so in the fall).

Thanks!
    T

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    ....live time? ..... live bulb? ....

• Like Like x 1
  3. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Nope. Just normal 20 second exposure. It's not showing me what it's taking a picture of...it's showing me a review of what it just took a picture of.

I'm going to go home tonight and play with it, but I don't think it's anything I did. I think the camera's screwing up. There's absolutely no way the review should be on for that long for any reason, especially while taking another picture.

4. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Seriously? 200 views and one reply (which I do appreciate), but still no closer to a solution/reason? Come on, guys...

5. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Hmmm dunno about that one. I know you can turn off the LCD, but the VF stays on. That doesnt really fix your problem anyway. Is the camera still writing the current image to the card? I know this causes things to freeze up on the EM5. Whats the write speed of the card you are using?

• Like Like x 1
  6. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for the reply! It's quite baffling! I've shot plenty of star trails with different cameras (including this OM-D) and never had this problem.

I usually set it up with the LCD (since it's on a tripod) and once it's going, all I see is the little orange "Write" icon whenever it finishes a frame. It flashes for a second, then the screen's blank. This time it was displaying the review on the LCD, so after a few frames I stopped the process and switched to the EVF...then it did the same thing in the EVF!

Yup, all images were written to the card without issues. Other than this glitch, everything worked perfectly. (Heck, I'm even impressed that it never ran out of juice!)

I'm not sure of the exact speed, but it's fast enough..I think it's 45 MB/s...it's a 32GB SanDisk Ultra II I think (Ii'll check at home, though I really don't think it has anything to do with it). I was just shooting JPEGs which were mostly black, so writing is not an issue (especially with 20 second intervals).

Hmm....

7. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Im kinda stumped as well. I would try it with another sd card, just to see what happens?

• Like Like x 1
  8. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Might as well! Though I've never had any issues with this or any other SanDisk card...tonight I'm going to go home, take the battery out for a few minutes and put it back to see what happens.

9. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    New twist. If I have it on H burst mode, it does the above described thing.

If I put it on L burst mode, then it merely flashes the reviewed image for a split second (which, I guess is better than having it on constantly), even when the review is turned to OFF. This is starting to really cheese me off. (By the way, I tried different cards, they make no difference).

So no one here has any idea? Am I going to have to email Olympus about this?

• Like Like x 1
  10. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    So I just tried this with my E-M5 and yes, in high speed burst the image remains and on low speed burst it just reviews briefly. I was using a 5 second exposure. So it's not just you.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

• Like Like x 1
  11. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks! You're awesome, I really appreciate it!! That makes me feel a little better! :)

Do you know why??!! I swear this did not happen the last time I did star trails (I remember because I was with a friend, and I kept glancing at the camera to make sure it was still going, and just kept looking for the little orange "Write" icon, never flashed review). But it's still the same firmware and everything......but I did use a different lens (before I was using an all-manual lens - Roki fisheye - and this time the Oly 9-18, I wonder if that somehow makes a difference, gonna try when I'm home).

12. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Norway
    I cant reproduce this on my em5, the lcd stays off the entire time. This is with both the sigma 60 and 30mm

• Like Like x 1
  13. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks, lowlight!

I just tried with two more lenses (Panasonic 20mm and the Samyang fisheye) and the problem is the same with all of the lenses. I'm at a complete loss as to why the camera is doing this!

14. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Norway
    perhaps you should email olympus about this issue.
    Even if it wont ruin your photos it will eat your battery, i tried with my 12-50 and 9mm BCL now and the lcd do not light up...
    im runing the latest firmware (just checked) on the camera and the 12-50... maybe connect it to your camera and see if there`s an update?

• Like Like x 1
  15. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    It's the same on my E-M1. I think with the high speed continuous shooting they expect that you will need to see the results as you shoot and also that the shutter speed will generally be much faster. Mind you that's just a guess.

• Like Like x 1
  16. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for checking...yeah, I'll email them because this seems very weird...especially because it just came out of nowhere. I'm pretty sure I have the latest firmware...I updated when they came out with the one that gave us smaller AF points and ISO LOW, and I don't think there's been any updates since, right?

Thanks for checking...and that's really odd that the E-M1 does it too! I've never encountered a camera that does this before...and, oddly enough, my E-M5 didn't used to do it...I'm completely lost haha.

17. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Norway
    The update with the small focus point and iso low is the latest.

• Like Like x 1