Help! E-M10 stops recording video sporadically

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SVQuant, Oct 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    This weekend, I was recording and shooting a cultural event in the which my kids were participating. I had my E-M10 on a tripod recording while I was shooting stills with the E-M1. Everything worked well yesterday, but the recording stopped at about 22minutes/4GB file size (which I expected and was able to restart). Overall, I did about 1.5 hours of video in multiple segments. Today, however, I had only a 12 minute piece to record. The camera stopped recording about 1 minute into the performance and then again 10 minutes into. Both times, it took me a bit to realize that it was not recording and I lost about 30 seconds of the performance each time. Thankfully, there were other people with phones recording and I can splice in the video, but I would like to understand why this happened. The card was a Sandisk Extreme 32GB.

Can anyone shed any light on what might have happened? Would definitely like to avoid this in the future.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  2. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Tried more video with a different card and found the same issue. Sometimes the recording will stop randomly, other times it will go to the full specified length. One thing I noticed as I was swapping cards was that the card was pretty warm after 15 or so minutes of video. Also, the lens was the 14-42.

Still seeking answers. Any hints, thoughts, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

3. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    I've seen this happen on my friend's EM10, and formatting the card fixed it. But if it happens with multiple cards I'm not sure..

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Formatting the card in camera? Totally willing to try that. I think that all my cards are formatted on my computer because I tend to swap them between different cameras.

BTW, I saw your E-M10 videos. Very nice. Do you mind telling me which cards you are using? Thanks.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
  6. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.