Help! E-M10 stops recording video sporadically

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SVQuant, Oct 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    This weekend, I was recording and shooting a cultural event in the which my kids were participating. I had my E-M10 on a tripod recording while I was shooting stills with the E-M1. Everything worked well yesterday, but the recording stopped at about 22minutes/4GB file size (which I expected and was able to restart). Overall, I did about 1.5 hours of video in multiple segments. Today, however, I had only a 12 minute piece to record. The camera stopped recording about 1 minute into the performance and then again 10 minutes into. Both times, it took me a bit to realize that it was not recording and I lost about 30 seconds of the performance each time. Thankfully, there were other people with phones recording and I can splice in the video, but I would like to understand why this happened. The card was a Sandisk Extreme 32GB.

Can anyone shed any light on what might have happened? Would definitely like to avoid this in the future.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  2. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Tried more video with a different card and found the same issue. Sometimes the recording will stop randomly, other times it will go to the full specified length. One thing I noticed as I was swapping cards was that the card was pretty warm after 15 or so minutes of video. Also, the lens was the 14-42.

Still seeking answers. Any hints, thoughts, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

3. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    I've seen this happen on my friend's EM10, and formatting the card fixed it. But if it happens with multiple cards I'm not sure..

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Formatting the card in camera? Totally willing to try that. I think that all my cards are formatted on my computer because I tend to swap them between different cameras.

BTW, I saw your E-M10 videos. Very nice. Do you mind telling me which cards you are using? Thanks.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
  6. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer