1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help!...E-M1 now displaying 5X5 AF grid instead of 9X9

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Mooring, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Mooring

Mooring Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2013
    Lee Mooring
    Went to use my E-M1 today and pressed the Fn1 button to get my AF point grid and got a 5x5 (25 point) grid instead of the expected 9x9 (81 point).I have been unable to find the setting I might have changed to cause this. As a matter of fact I can find no mention of the 25 point grid anywhere in the manual. If I rotate the rear dial I get another screen which has 25 squares with space between them. In both screens I can select which square I want as usual. Anyone have an idea what I did and how to correct it?

2. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    What lens do you have mounted on the camera ? If it's 4/3 lens, you might be seeing PDAF grid instead of the CDAF grid.

Scribbled on Galaxy Note 3.

3. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    If you tap the back of the screen, a slider will pop up on the right. You can slide it up and down to change the size of the focus point.

4. Mooring

Mooring Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2013
    Lee Mooring
    its the new 12-40. Tapping the screen does nothing but switch between the two screens

5. Mooring

Mooring Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2013
    Lee Mooring
    The grid that comes up is green. Tapping on the grid brings up the second screen which is 25 squares formed with white dotted lines. Its not actually a grid but individual squares with space between them. The square in the area where I tap is highlighted in green

6. Mooring

Mooring Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2013
    Lee Mooring
    BTW Jamie, I did figure out how to do what you described but that only changes the size of the green box on the screen at the time. It has no effect on the grid size.

7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I'd turn the camera off, take out the battery, remove the lens and replace with another or put it back on )make sure it goes on properly).
    Put the battery back in, turn it on, and then check and see how many focus target areas you have.

If it is still 5 across and 5 down, I'd reset the camera Select from Shooting Menu 1 > Rest/Myset Full > press Ok (page 77).

8. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    If you go to Menu / Gear / AF/MF / Page 2, there's a set [...] home option. You can choose which option you like there, and assign a function key to activate it.

I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with the 12-40. I've been using the 12-40 for a couple of months now without encountering this issue. I haven't really experienced the issue you're having though, so I'm not sure the advice above will help. Worth a shot though.

9. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Hit f1 then info then use the up/down toggles to change the number of points, there are 4 setting choices I think

10. Mooring

Mooring Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2013
    Lee Mooring
    Thanks for all the responses guys. I discovered the answer with the help of a couple users on the DPReview forums. It seems I had somehow turned on the Digital Tele-converter. Since I so rarely go into that menu I really hadn't thought about it.