Help! Do I have anything worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Nate8833, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Nate8833

Nate8833 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    I just found some of my Dad's old film cameras, and I'm curious if what I found is worth getting an adapter for and putting it on my GX1. Here is what I found:

Minolta SR1 with a Minolta Rokkor 55mm 2.0 and a Minolta Rokkor 135mm 4.0

Canon A1 with a Canon 50mm 1.4 and a Quantaray 35-200mm 3.8 Macro

I know the Canon is definitely worth getting an adapter for, and I'm sure it will take the place of the Nikon 50mm 1.8 that is currently in my bag. The other lenses I am not so sure of. The Quantaray is in great shape... I just no nothing about that lens or the Minoltas. The 55mm Minolta is in great shape, but the glass on the 135mm isn't in the best of shape anymore. Does anyone know anything about these lenses? Thanks a lot!!
  2. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    I have several old 135mm lenses and find the Olympus 40-150 zoom better, although for lower light, my FD 135 f2.5 has its niche uses. It's your call on whether you can use the 135mm. Would you want to carry the Rokkor 55mm when you already have the Canon and the Nikon 50's. I don't expect much from old zooms, but maybe you might find the macro useful.

Meanwhile, thanks to competition, ebay prices have dropped down to $10-12 for FD and MD adapters. It must be tough times in China for those guys knocking these out on CNC machines. If you can wait 3-4 weeks for the China mail, it won't cost hardly anything to try out your dad's lenses.
  3. Nate8833

Nate8833 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    Thanks for answering!

I just ordered adapters for both of the Minolta and Canon mounts. I'm actually really looking forward to using the Minolta 55mm. I'm not sure if everyone can relate, but it just feels like a really nice lens. Both the aperture ring and the focus ring are so smooth but with just the right resistance... It just feels like it's going to be a pleasure to use. We'll see!

I am going to have some decisions to make after I get these lenses working. I'll have:

Canon 50mm 1.4
    Nikon 50mm 1.8
    Nikon 55mm 3.5 Micro
    Minolta 55mm 2.0

I have a feeling I'll use the 1.4 a lot, the 2.0 for nostalgia, and the 3.5 for macro. I'll probably sell the 1.8 because it holds no sentimental value, and it is the only AF lens of the bunch so it commands a bit more money.
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Sounds like a good plan. You may also find interesting differences in contrast/rendering as well as bokeh with the legacy lenses. Using them is one of the enjoyable perks of the :43: system. :biggrin:
  5. Nate8833

Nate8833 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    Well that was a surprise...

I took some photos with both the Canon 50mm 1.4 and the Minolta 55mm 2.0... and I liked the photos from the Minolta much better! Just a sharper image comparatively at every f stop until f11, and then the Canon jumped ahead. I've heard stories about different lens brands performing differently than you would expect on MFTs... but this surprised me.