Help!! Dented the front of my Konica 40mm f1.8. Replace w/ same lens or another lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jambaj0e, Apr 1, 2011.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    So back in January, I accidentally didn't fully secure my Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8 lens to the adapter and it fell on the ground. It has a B+W UV filter and thankfully, nothing internal got messed up. In fact, it still takes great photos!

The only problem is that a small portion of the front of the lens and the filter is dented, so I can't twist off the filter and I can't screw in another filter, ie. circular polarizing filter.

After being cool with it, I decided that maybe it's time I just replace it altogether. Also, I have a 57mm f1.4 that I hardly use, so I'm thinking maybe I can sell both off.

Do you think I should just replace it with another 40mm f.8 or get the 50mm f1.4? Would it be better to get another lens altogether? If I get another 40mm, should I just keep the 57mm?

I'm looking at the 40-55mm prime range, something sharp and contrasty and fast!

2. dmc

dmc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2011
    I'd see if I could get it repaired.
  3. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Would cost more to repair than to buy a new lens outright
  4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It's not worth fixing. If you just want to get the filter off, you still can.
  5. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    That's the problem. I can't take it off. B+W filter is extremely strong and its screw thread is completely locked into the 40mm =(
  6. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    There's always a solution. Try to lengthen the handle on which you apply force (make a lever, " Eurekâ ! " would have said my old friend Archimedes) by using a jar opener :

If yours is metal made, protect the lens with elastic braces where the claw is closing. If it's not enough, you can slide longer tubes over the handles to have even more lever effect.

afterwards it's not too difficult to delicately hammer the filter thread in its old place.

7. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I manage to chip off the portion of the B+W filter that's dented so at least other things can screw on it. I'm gonna try to find one of those jar openers in order to remove the B+W filter off the 40mm

Oh, and one more thing:

I also have a great deal going on for a Konica 50mm f1.4. Do you guys think it's better to carry just one lens (50mm) as opposed to a 40mm and a 57mm?
  8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    My favourite sticky filter remover (or even jar opener for that matter!) is an old rubber washing-up glove.
  9. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Usually, good filters have their glass secured to the mounting ring with a thin threaded screw, sometimes a circlip. If you're lucky, this unscrews from the front of the filter. Remove the glass, leave the ring alone, and you will be able to use the polarizer when required. Vignetting won't be an issue since you're using a full format lens on a µ4/3.

PS : you'll be left without the UV filter, but I tend to disadvise their use. For mechanical protection, a good lenshood does the job.