1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

HELP!! Dent on pen f 40/1.4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by API75, May 12, 2011.

1. API75

API75 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2010
    Today it happened... a dent on the filter thread of my beloved pen f 40/1.4, small but enough not to allow a filter or a hood!
    Please, I need some hints on how to address this with a do-it-yourself solution.
    Thank you in advance for your help!
    Antonio

2. Assuming it's been bent from the outside in;

Avoid pliers if possible, and even if you do, use some kind of cloth or padding between them and the filter thread.

One way is to get an object made of a suitably hard material, but not too hard ( a wooden dowel is a good example) and roll it backwards and forwards across the bent thread from the inside whilst laying the lens on it's side. Be careful not to apply too much pressure and bend it back the other way. I don't know what size or protrusion the front optic has on a Pen 40/1.4 so I don't know how practical this method will be on this particular lens i.e. don't risk damaging the glass if it is hard to get at the thread from the inside. Rolling out the dent like this will help to preserve the screw thread whereas bending it back with pliers may damage the thread further.

I hope I have explained this properly. It's hard to articulate what I mean without visuals. Even if this works it will likely be difficult to get filters on and off until the damaged threads start to wear.

3. API75

API75 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2010
  4. Sorry, I can't view any eBay items from my work computer. Hopefully someone else can give you an opinion.