1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help deciding on camera!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jcm5, May 12, 2014.

1. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and I wanted some input from all of you. I'm considering upgrading my GF1 and jumping on the Olympus bandwagon and am looking at the following bodies:

E-M10 or E-PL5. Do any of you have any personal recommendations/experience of the two? I'm particularly curious about the IBIS difference between the two and whether you guys deem the EVF to be a significant part of your own shooting experience.

The PL5 is definitely cheaper but I'm somewhat leaning towards the M10 but not fully convinced whether it's worth the extra bucks.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations or accounts of your own experience using one or both of those bodies.

2. BeeSharp

BeeSharp New to Mu-43

Apr 5, 2014
    I had the Epl5 and ended up upgrading to the Em5 (very slight difference in ibis capabilities from what I read to the Em10). I found that I wanted the extra control dials for quick access, the ibis also helped with my shaky camera holding skills - also possible that the way I hold the camera looking through the evf is more stable combined with the ibis. Being slightly larger the OMD is more ergonomic to hold for my hands anyways.

Best to test out both cameras in person to see which you prefer.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the user group!

I think the biggest difference is the built-in viewfinder on the E-M10. Is this something you would use a lot? You can always get an add-on viewfinder, but I find these to be a bit fiddly if it is something you are going to use all the time.

4. 2112

2112 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2014
    Emerald Isle, NC.
    Mark
    My wife and I both made the switch from Canon DSLR's together a couple of months back and have not looked back. We own both and my wife uses the PL5 all the time and loves it, but I was having a hard time with the feel and lack of a view finder and love the feel of the E-M10. I like the button layout better than the PL5 and the built in pop up flash is a plus also, and add the optional grip to the M10 and it fills my hands a little more for an even better feel.

They both take great pictures and we love the smaller size over our DSLR's.

Good Luck and I don't think you could go wrong either way..

5. bokehtime

bokehtime Mu-43 Rookie

May 2, 2014
    Toronto, Ontario
    I was also a Canon shooter that made the switch and never looked back. I was initially really set on the EPL5 but figured for all the added features and build quality the EM10 it was worth the extra bucks.

Size was not a factor for me but the EM10 is actually a pretty small camera if you that was one of the concerns. My logic is, if I ever wanted to upgrade a EPL5 and buy an EVF, I'm spending just as much and getting a lot less camera.

6. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    EM-10 also has WiFi built in and the EPL-5 does not.

Both good cameras though:):)

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I upgraded from E-PL5 to E-M10. E-M10 is by far the best camera I ever had. It is better than E-PL5 in every way yet same size. Premium, high end all metal build, joy to use. Built-in flash, wi-fi with remote shutter/live view support (outstanding), MUCH better IBIS which works great with primes (especially O45 and PL25) for both stills and video. Built-in EVF is very useful outdoors. It is large and bright with auto brightness adjustment. The evf alone has improved my photography due to better exposure decisions in the sun. Grip is way better than E-PL5. Among other useful features, you get time-lapse mode, focus peaking, bigger LCD which is much higher resolution than E-PL5. I am not even mentioning additional external controls which make operation so much faster. If E-M10 is going to be the only camera then, IMO, it's worth paying extra. While IQ is identical between the two, I am getting better images with E-M10 likely due to better exposure (EVF), effective IBIS, better grip and external controls. With E-PL5, I didn't like to change settings too much.

Also, I am finding that for the first time I am enjoying shooting video with an Oly camera. It is because IBIS works like a steadycam with PL25 and O45 which are my most used primes. AF, especially with PL25, is very smooth and natural.

8. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    I agree with what Art has said. I also had the EPL5 about a year ago. The E-M10 is like a small dslr. I can't live without the EVF......but that's me. I hated the flash that came with the EPL5. The pop up flash on the E-M10 is quite useful.
    The EPL5 did take very nice pics though....especially with the 20 1.7 that I had.
    The E-M10 is the winner for me.

9. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Big difference in the IBIS.

2-axis vs. 3-axis may seem insignificant, but what's really important isn't the number of axes but that the EM10's IBIS is active with the shutter half pressed (and when using the magnify tool). That'll make shooting with long lenses and manually focusing any lens way, way easier on the EM10.

10. benti77

benti77 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 16, 2014
    my choice was in favour of the em10 because of:
    viewfinder.
    2 control dials (better the many dslr and this is the main reason for changing from my sony alpha).
    grip and compact size.

if you prefer rangefinder camera, you can also check the pana gx7.

Inviato dal mio SGH-T989 utilizzando Tapatalk

11. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Do you need a view finder. If so, the em10 makes more sense.

Tapatalk

12. Rickf

Rickf Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2014
    I just recently purchased the EM10 and can give you my reasoning FWIW. First, a viewfinder was a necessity so I didn't consider anything that did not have one. When I tried out the EM10 I really appreciated the smaller size but with the optional grip it felt quite good in my hand. I'm not sure I'll ever use it without the grip. The twin control dials really add a lot in terms of controlling essential functions without having to use menus. That's important to me. I don't feel like I've given up anything by switching from my DSLR but have gained a lot in terms of portability. My personal opinion on smaller cameras is that there's a point of diminishing returns and in fact it can become a hindrance. I value portability but not at the expense of handling. There's a sweet spot where size can be minimized before handling is seriously compromised. I think the EM10 hits that sweet spot.

Rick

13. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    wow, thanks everyone for all the input. I've definitely been leaning towards the EM10 and am glad to hear all the positive feedback on that body.

I'll be giving it a hard look. Love that silver/black vintage look.

A more personal question: any preferences either way purchasing such a camera from either BH or Amazon? and, what do you guys think about their respective protection plans (scam?) I've yet to drop my camera (GF1, which I've had the last 4 years) but now that I'm upgrading to a newer model, I'm wondering if it's worth the extra bucks. Thank you.

14. mario23

mario23 Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    FL
    BH has always given me excellent customer service so I try to do my business with them. They have always taken care of any issues or questions. Adorama is another I've had good experiences with. They both also offer the Bill me Later option which is nice. Love my Em10 by the way...such a fun camera to shoot!

15. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    I just checked out the EM5 at a local camera store (didn't have EM10 available, sold out) and if the 10 is anything like the 5 in terms of ergonomics and feel, I'm in love. Felt very solid, love the EVF, and the lightning fast focus. I've been shooting with a GF1 for so long, forgot what it felt like to use a VF, amazing