Help decide epl1 or the new panasonic g2

jayzfelon

New to Mu-43
I need help you guys. I am newbie to photography. I am stuck right now between the epl1 or waiting for the panasonic g2 to come out. I like the epl1 based on the info I read in this forum. But I really like the new touchscreen on g2. But dont know yet of the quality of the pics and videos. suggestions are welcome

JoeG

Mu-43 Regular
How do you shoot?

A lot depends on how you shoot. If you do documentary or street shooting the Olympus may be the better choice. It's small and handy. If you like to compose, if you think of yourself as a careful composer, the G2 has advantages.

I put myself in the latter group and wouldn't trade my G1 for anything Olympus has made so far. The articulated screen and fine, built in electronic viewfinder let me use it almost like a view camera. But I can see the Olympus appeal too. It can get the same sort of shots, just not as conveniently or unerringly.

Shoot fast, and the balance is reversed. A G1/G2 has one advantage here--faster autofocus--but the Olympus cameras are unobtrusive and quick to mount and point.

When it comes to image quality, I believe it's pretty much a wash. You hear Olympus cameras extolled for their jpegs, but set the film style to "dynamic" and the G1/G2 output will be very similar, at least to my eye. True, Panasonic colors are a touch more neutral, but Olympus ones sometimes seem overly amped.

You really can't go wrong with either, but for me the evf and articulated screen make the difference. I'd even suggest you consider the G1. If you don't do video, it apparently matches the G2 for image quality and is now selling for well under $600 at Amazon. So far, it's just the blue version at that price, but the others are sure to follow in short order.

Good luck.

jayzfelon

New to Mu-43
Thanks JoeG for your reply. Ya, the articulating lcd sounds really nice and also the built in evf. I mean you can also get one for the epl1 but for the price of vf2 it comes out to be the same and you dont have to worry about losing it. I would pick up the gh1 one right now if I have the extra cash. I want to have the video function as to why I am waiting for the g2. I just hope it comes out soon before the 29th for my sons bday party or I might have to pull trigger on the epl1.

Krang

Mu-43 Veteran
I would go for the G2. Since it has more features and the price is quite cheap.

I think the biggest question is, if you want the EVF or not, and how much the touch screen temps you. Image quality is bound to be at least as good as in other m4/3 cameras.

deckitout

Mu-43 Veteran
I sit in both camps with an EP2 and G1.

Both excellent, both different and both have features that the others don't.

IBIS is important fo some (Oly) articulating screen for others (G1)

That's why I got both, try to have a play and see which way you want to go

Carol Stee

Mu-43 Regular
I have pre-ordered the Panasonic G2, mainly because it has a built-in EVF like an SLR that allows me to compose a picture carefully, but also because it has an articulating touch control LCD, and faster auto-focus than any of the Olympus M4/3 cameras. But without the optional EVF the Olympus EPL1 is $225 less than the G2 on amazon.com, and it is smaller, which are considerations.

Another possibility is the Panasonic G10, for $599, closer in price to the Olympus EPL1. It has a built-in EVF but lacks the articulating LCD.

The official release date for the G2 and the G10 is June 1st, but they may arrive sooner or late than that. I wouldn't let your son's birthday on May 29 sway you toward getting the EPL1 because you will have to live with your choice for years to come. If you prefer the G2 or the G10 you can borrow a camera for the day.

The G2 will be my first digital camera, considerably smaller and lighter than my current 35mm film SLR, a Nikon N70 from 1995!

jayzfelon

New to Mu-43
I am leaning towards waiting for the g2 however based on the pics I see on this forum. I like the picture quality of the oly's, colors seem to pop out and more clearer. Is there settings in g1 or g2 to make the pictures somehow match what I see with the olympus?

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Dont forget to take the size of your hands into account. I have large hands and the G1 fits perfectly, whereas the smaller cams just drive me nuts. Of course, the reverse will be true, in reverse.

Bokeh D

Latest threads

Top Bottom