Help! Convince me I don't need more!

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by SrPantuflas, Feb 6, 2016.

1. SrPantuflas

SrPantuflas Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2013
    Chile, South America.
    Hi
    This is the opposite of many threads of people asking about what to buy next.
    I've been lately looking a lot of camera gear, thinking about getting an omd em-10 or another lens (25? 17?) or a GR and crop... even considering breaking the bank and trying Fuji, at least in my head.

I usually shot street or photos from everyday moments. I use a GM1 with the P20 almost 90% of time. i have a 12-32mm for wide shots.
    I think is a nice a cheap combo, the only thing i don't like is the focus speed of the 20mm... I find it slow, but great at everything else i care (aperture, size, 40mm was weird as first but i feel more confortable now) i'm aware that is a compromise and i carry my camera everywhere thanks to that.

I've been using my old Canon AE-1 Program and i love the VF and the dials/aperture rings!, but i notice the weight/size difference too.
    I'm sure that other bodies or even systems have many advantages but i' think i just have a case of GAS, looking the other grass greener. And i don't need more than that i have, sure?

So, that is!! hope is the correct place to post this (Admins feel free to move it otherwise) and remind me that images are more important than gear, at least for me. Sure that cameras are temping!

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Why not shoot more with the 12-32? It should be faster at focusing than the 20.

--Ken

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, if the focus speed really bothers you, you could sell the 20mm and get a used 17/1.8 for not much more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi
    Look into my eyes ...
    d99d7caf_Hypnotized.

you do not need more gear

its not about the gear, its about the vision:

in my view ...: Gearing towards a photographic vision

"standard" focal length

3221512445_e2485ca3ef_o.

50mm f2.8 Pentax 110 lens
    10124519593_b09ea469b0_h.

GAS is a tragic disease
    in my view ...: Camera Related Illnesses

tooManyLenses.

take the Zen of photography ... less is more

If you avoid camera diarrhoea, and process in RAW there is less difference between bodies new and old than you'd think

in my view ...: Generations - GH1 vs E-M5

have a beer and think about it...

:D

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Well, you don't need any more stuff...that's not to say that you don't WANT more stuff but you don't need it. The constant push to buy more stuff is pervasive and it's not helped by visiting a gear specific forum where that is one of the most common types of threads you're likely to come across.

In my experience the best way to not buy stuff is to get out and make images. When you do that you're too busy with the making to obsess over the buying.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

Looking at your photos I see someone with a well developed sense of style. It looks like you know what you are looking for and are able to get it. On the other hand, some photos show you trying new things as well.

In the last year or so I have gone back and forth as far as size, weight, and zoom range are concerned. I find my GM5 to be a very good size. I enjoy carrying it around and I enjoy using it. It's not so easy to find a camera like that! The Coolpix A is fun and takes great pictures, but for me the single focal length is limiting. Fuji makes some nice cameras but they are all a lot heavier than the GM1. That makes taking a good camera with me much more of a project.

I have the 20mm (40mm equiv.) spot on the 12-32 zoom more or less memorized. It focuses fast, and I can live with the ƒ4.3 or smaller aperture at that setting. I can see how that aperture would be limiting for what you do, though.

One question to ask is, "Is there something I want to express with my photos that I cannot do with my current camera equipment? It looks to me like you are in a pretty good place as far as that goes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    I've just been through a process of down sizing my m4/3 kit, because I found I was carrying a bag of stuff I rarely, if ever, used.

So before buying something, ask yourself whether you would actually use it, and if so when and what for. Make a list of pros and cons, etc, and then let it sit for a while. If you come back to it and it still makes sense, then perhaps the purchase is a good idea. For example, I like the idea of a set of primes, but I really don't think I would actually find the time to use them enough to justify it, and they would just end up sitting in the bag. So nice idea, file that one away to revisit another day.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SrPantuflas

May 26, 2013
    Chile, South America.
    Thanks a lot guys for the kind responses!
    Holding the gear hunger for a while, focus on new images!

9. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I realize I'm not convincing you not to buy, but the PL15 has a switch for AF/MF, so you can zone focus for street and not even worry about focus speed. The O17 has something similar. But... if 28mm works for you (or the lower resolution of the built in 35/50mm crop modes), there is no better street camera than a GR. Try one. You'll see.

10. Mattyh

Mattyh Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    UK
    Sorry not going to be much help here as just bought the PL15mm f1.7 and its outstanding, by far and away my favourite lens.
    Then we get onto Ricoh Gr, I never leave home without one. either film or digital version, I true star in the camera world past or present and the one group of cameras I will never sell, Ever.

Good Luck.

11. SrPantuflas

May 26, 2013
    Chile, South America.
    The PL15 seems very temping, and I've heard a lot of happy people with their GR (aside dust issues in some cases)
    If Ricoh someday make a 35/40 equivalent I would buy that in a heartbeat! (sadly, i don't think that would happen)
    Or a Digital Olympus XA, Contax T3.

12. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    If you are willing to shoot with a m4/3rd's-sized sensor, then you can shoot at the 35mm eq. with the GR. Remember, it has an APS-C sensor.

--Ken

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Mattyh

Mattyh Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    UK
    Never had any dust issues and the 28mm focal length is one of my favourites so I suppose I'm lucky,

I think I've said before that when I started out in photography all I could afford as a poor student was a 50mm and 28mm lenses and used these 2 lenses for years and years, 30 years on these are still the 2 main focal lengths I use exclusively.

14. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, B&H says "28mm (35mm Equivalent)" for the GR.

I read that as the lens is some unspecified actual FL, and the 35mm equivalent FL is 28mm.

Now I think maybe it's 35mm in 35mm equivalent, and 28mm actual.

Barry

15. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    The lens is 18mm, with an APS-C sensor (made by Sony and similar to what was used in the Nikon D7000 and a host of other cameras of that generation). While you can crop in post, the camera does offer cropping to 35 and 50. The cropped sizes are quite close to m4/3rd's and a 1" sensor. So, you have three cameras in one - a 28mm APS-C eq., a 35mm m4/3rd's eq. and a 50mm 1". Yes, you can say the same for any camera, but if you are working with a larger sensor than what would be expected in a camera body, it is not unreasonable to consider these equivalents if you might have been happy with a smaller sensor to begin with.

--Ken

16. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Not sure Fuji is going to help much with SAF focus speed. Though I'm reading good early comments on the focus system in the newest Pro 2. On Oly bodies the 17 1.8 feels very fast focusing, and though I've mostly had the 12-32 on the GM1 I recently bought used, the little I've tried my 17 it seemed to focus pretty fast on the gm1. I might try renting (or better borrowing) an Oly 17 or Panny 15 on your GM1. The 20 was one of the earliest m43 lenses and is not known as a speed demon with respect to focus speed.

• Like Like x 1