Help choosing lens!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by pasgal, Jan 18, 2011.

1. pasgal

pasgal New to Mu-43

Jan 18, 2011
    First sorry for my English
    (google translation). My name is Pasquale and I write from Italy.

My camera is panasonic GF1 and I'm looking for a portrait lens.
    They are torn between

Rokkor 58mm 1.2
    noktor 40mm 1.4

are also ready to suggestions on other lenses
    those written above. Help me, thanks!

2. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    How about Canon FD 50mm 1.4 or OM Zuiko 50mm 1.4. There is also PenF 40mm 1.4 which should be really compact.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    There are quite a lot of lenses that would work and give you a nice, fast portrait lens on micro 4/3. It depends what you are looking for (sharp, good bokeh, contrasty). Each lens is a bit different. I tend to not want to drop a lot of money on lenses so while there are some terrific lenses like the Konica 57/1.2 they are way out of my budget. Of the lenses that I have used my favorites for portraits are...

The Canon FD 50/1.4: (around $100)
    The Canon is a nice lens, not that expensive, sharp even wide open. I find the Canon to be a bit cool color wise but that's a subjective thing. I have fiends that love the way the Canon renders color and I will admit that lens is REALLY sharp. I prefer to use it when shooting highly detailed objects.

The Olympus Pen-F 40/1.4: (around $250)
    Probably my favorite lens, it's fast, sharp as h*ll and has the most lovely rendering and color (although I have always liked Olympus colors). I have seen it compared to the Voigtlander 40/1.4 and the Summicron 40/2 although not having either of those lenses I can't say how accurate that is. My favorite feature is that it can close focus to about a foot.

Pentax SMC Super Takumar 50/1.4: (around $100)
    This is a close second to the Olympus. It's not as sharp (although not by much), has IMHO terrific bokeh and an absolutely lovely lens to handle. It's build quality is terrific and sometimes I think I use it just because ti feels so great to hold.

Helios 44-M 58/2 (around $60)
    This is a FSU lens and can be found quite cheaply. Quality wise it can be a bit of a gamble with some being better than others. It's a clone of a Zeiss Biotar and it produces some of the most amazing colors and bokeh. I find that the contrast is a not quite as much as my other lenses and at 58mm it might be a bit longer focal length wise than you are looking for but I love my Helios. It has survived many lens purges and sell offs.

Good luck

Kevin

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    The Pen F 1.4 (actually even the 1.8) are fantastic for people pics. Great party lenses :)

I use them on an EP1 and struggle a bit with perfect focus when I shoot wide-open so a viewfinder is really handy.

I think if Olympus re-tooled to pop out the Pen Zuiko lenses they'd sell a fair few. Actually they'd probably make a loss but they'd certainly win the hearts & minds of the discerning :)

Without in-body-stabilisation you may find the Panasonic 1.7 more suitable depending on the type of pictures you're taking.

5. aznmochamike

aznmochamike Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2011
    California
    I just got the Rokkor 58mm 1.2 but still waiting for the adapter to use it. I will tell you how it is after I get it. I know that online this one could cost about 350 and up but I got it at a old camera shop for 100 but it had 2 problems. (1) the internal lens was a bit dirty- I got a person to clean it for $40 (2) the spring loaded diaphragm isn’t spring-loaded anymore- shouldn’t be a problem for the adapter with my gf1 since the camera and lens aren’t “talking” to each other.

6. pasgal

pasgal New to Mu-43

Jan 18, 2011
    Thanks for the replies.

I bought Minolta MC ROKKOR- PF 58mm F1.4
    now I try to never GF1 adapter that take?

7. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    Since your in Italy give this site a shot, Adriano Lolli Adriano Lolli - Home Page

but remember on eBay the basic inexpensive Minolta MD MC Lens to Micro 4/3 Adapter is about $30 US.

BK