1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help choosing a hood for the 75mm 1.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by hobbes266, Jan 29, 2015.

1. hobbes266

hobbes266 Mu-43 Regular

May 19, 2014
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Hello, I want a hood for my lovely new 75mm 1.8 I've just got. I refuse to pay olympus's price of $75 for the official hood, so that is not an option. How good is the JJC clone which is about $30? Safe for the lens and good quality? I read one post that said it can scratch the lens barrel. Why does it cost even that much - I'm used to paying just $5 for my Canon clone hoods. Is it because it is metal and quite high quality, or just because they can? What other hoods are people using for this lens?

Lastly, I use these vented hoods for my 17mm 1.8 and 45mm 1.8 because they look cool with those lenses and they protect the lens and provide some decent light shade even if not perfect: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/52mm-Ven..._Photographic_Accessories&hash=item3cc72394f5 Has anyone tried this style on a 75mm and does it look good? Do you think it won't provide much significant light shade on a longer focal length like 75mm? I really don't like huge lens hoods that make your camera much less discreet, so I am happy to get this vented style as long as it looks good and provides decent shade.

2. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    • Like Like x 1
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I have the metal JJC hood for the Oly 17mm f1.8, the design is similar to the Oly hood, and it is well made.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  4. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    I have the JJC copy also. Metal and excellent.

• Like Like x 2
  5. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I have the exact same vented hood, no it doesn't look good on 75mm, it looks good on 25 1.4 though. Vented hoods only look good on short barrel lenses IMHO

• Like Like x 1
  6. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    I have the JJC clone for my silver 75. It fits well - no wiggle, but also not too snug to put on.:thumbup:

7. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    A little of both. The JJC hoods for the 75mm are copies of the OEM hood, meaning 1. that they have more components than a typical screw on or bayonet mount hood and 2. they are made of nicer materials that a plastic $5 Canon clone hood. The JJC 75mm hood is flocked on the inside to reduce reflections and mounts in exactly the same way as the Olympus OEM hood. Overall its likely a much nicer product in my opinion than the other hoods you are referring to.

• Like Like x 1