1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help choising ball head

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by maxphoto, Apr 25, 2014.

1. maxphoto

maxphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 10, 2011
    New York
    I am trying to decide on a ball head. I want something good without going overkill or too expensive. I do want friction control as I have one legacy long telephoto I tend to use frequently.
    I want something light weight, but sturdy.
    I was thinking of the 3 Legged Thing AirHed 0 or one of the Photo Clams.
    Any thoughts on these or any others I should consider?
    Thanks

2. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    I have been pleasantly surprised by the C10X head supplied with my Sirui T-005X tripod.

200 gm and specs state 15kg load capacity - not tested it but it's held my EM-5 with legacy lenses easily and the complete tripod and head for less than the 3LT head alone

3. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    I just got a T-005X as well, after it was recommended to me by the staff at B&H in New York -- I don't do much tripod work but I've been pleased with both the tripod and the ball head so far!

4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Sirui K-20X ballhead on Feisol legs! :biggrin:

This set replaced my RRS BH-55 setting on Gitzo legs. I needed that set for my former 35mm Canon equipment. Can you say heavy?

I was out shooting in the woods and stream beds this weekend. The combo of a M43 body and lens over the Sirui and Feisol is fantastic....and so very much lighter. :wink:

5. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Looks like there is a nice markins for sale in the buy/sell forum...

6. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    So what's the budget?

7. mjgraaf

mjgraaf Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2014
    Netherlands
    Menno
    Check Sirui and Benro. You neef a lot less ballhead once you stop mounting these dslr dinosaurs on them :) Having said that, when weight is not an issue, i'm still favoring my big RRS ballhead with Gitzo. Ease of use, not better IQ. Budget and weight will determine therefore your choice...

Sent from my C6503 using Tapatalk

8. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    What did you decide on? I'm always in this dilemma as well. It seems like the smaller, lighter heads that you would use for m4/3 are also lower quality and less features. :frown:

9. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Both Markins and RRS make small ballheads that are full featured. And both companies have reputations for producing quality products. These products are also priced accordingly.

--Ken

10. maxphoto

maxphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 10, 2011
    New York
    I haven't made a decision yet. I would like to keep the cost under $200. I also want a light set-up as this one is for hiking and will be going on carbon fiber legs.