Help! Can my pictures be saved?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by bfenner, Aug 28, 2011.

1. bfenner

bfenner Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2010
    I can see my photos on my GF1, but when I plug in my camera or put the sd card into the computer, it comes up as "unreadable or corrupted" and says that it needs to be formatted (which would erase all the data). It is only this one card that is doing this, so I don't think it is my computer. I have a lot of shots from a good friends wedding on this card, so I would love to be able to save them. Has anyone ever experienced this? Any ideas on how to salvage the photos on the card?
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I know that there are free recovery software available. I have the free SanDisk program but have never used it. A Google of SD Card Recovery Software will bring up a host of apps/programs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Try connecting the camera to your computer with the USB cord and transferring that way.

Oops, just saw that you said you tried plugging in already... Sorry.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    1st... DO NOT "write" to the card as you could end up corrupting pictures you have on their. DO NOT put it back into your camera.

2nd. 1st thing you need to do is slide the protection on card so it can be erased etc to lock.

3rd. Download one of several file recovery tools online and make sure they can work with media cards. Install it (making sure your memory card isnt connected to the computer).

4th. Then run the program, put the card into your computer and let the software recover your pics.

Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    If the camera can read the fils, things aren't too bad.
    Try using a card reader on the comp, when it recognises the card and promote for a format, just decline, go to a command prompt (cmd in windows).
    Enter scndsk <drive letter for card>: and allow it to fix errors.
    I think the syntax is scndsk E: /f
    That should sort things out nicely
    • Like Like x 1
  6. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011

Go to:

BadCopy Pro - Floppy Disk, CD, DVD and Digital Media Data Recovery Software

Download the program, and if it indicates it can save your pics, then buy it.

Reasonably priced- and saved my bacon once!!!

$39 USD
    • Like Like x 1
  7. lannes

lannes Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    • Like Like x 1
  8. bfenner

bfenner Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2010
    photos recovered

After a few failed attempts, I was finally able to recover my pictures with Ashampoo GetBack. Thanks everyone for the advice. It lead me in the right direction.
    Here's one of my favorite pics from the card:
    GF1 w/ 20mm
    • Like Like x 2
  9. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Cool image, man... glad you got your images rescued!
    • Like Like x 1