1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help - Bought a Lens 11-22mm Four Thirds though it was Micro

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by DeepBlueSky, Aug 10, 2016.

1. DeepBlueSky

DeepBlueSky Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2016
    John Cobb
    Hi Guys,
    I'm new here and starting to get back into photography after a long break. Anyway I bought a ZD 11-22mm f2.8-3.5 thinking it would fit my Olympus OM D Micro Four Thirds camera it was an impulse buy not realizing the squiggly line symbol was used on both Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds.

I have asked the re seller to get in contact, if it has an adapter what are the implications will I loose anything ?. What focal length / Aperture will this become on my OM D Micro Four Thirds camera.

Any help gratefully accepted.

2. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Hi John,

That lens would be a 11-22 on your m43 body as well. You will need a 43-m43 adapter (MMF-1/MMF-2/MMF-3 from Olympus or the DMV-MA1 from Panny or a generic one). Generally four-thirds lens are slow to autofocus on m43 bodies other than the E-M1. If you are looking for a wide-angle lens, I would recommend returning it and looking at the m43 O9-18 (be aware that there is a four-thirds version as well). In general, m43 Oly lenses are called m.Zuiko (mZD) while the four-thirds ones are simply Zuiko (ZD).

A full list of m43 (and four-thirds) lenses can be found on four-thirds.org.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    It will still be 11-22mm. The equivalent focal length compared to 35mm film is 22-44mm. The aperture is the aperture. I won't get into equivalency arguments over that.

You need a 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter. Both Panasonic and Olympus make them. They have contacts for compatibility and will function as a micro 4/3 lens with one caveat. This lens is not contrast detection autofocus optimized and so will focus pretty slowly on all bodies except the Olympus E-M1 which has a phase detection capability in addition to contrast detection.

I just got this lens myself to use on an E-M10. It's a great lens and so far I can live with relatively slow auto-focus.

Fred

4. DeepBlueSky

DeepBlueSky Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2016
    John Cobb
    Thank you for your knowledge here Sameer I have an OM-D E-M10 II. I'll let the guy know.

5. DeepBlueSky

DeepBlueSky Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2016
    John Cobb
    And Thank you Fred, the information on contrast Auto Detection optimization is going into my memory bank :) for future reference.

6. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    If this helps any. This lens is considered to be a nice optical performer, so if you're okay with the focus, it might be a nice lens to keep depending on what you paid.

7. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    You are welcome. If you do decide to keep the lens, keep in mind that there are a couple of threads about wide lenses like this one having IQ issues with generic adapters due to the non-planarity of the adapter. You might want to spring for one of the Olys or the Panny.

Fred, how slow is "slow" on the E-M10?

8. DeepBlueSky

DeepBlueSky Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2016
    John Cobb
    I may just pass on this lens, I think I would prefer to build up a m43 kit from the ground up. I'll let you know what happens. Anyway thank you all for you help here still a bit green with this format :)

9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    That would be the simplest strategy. Use native M43 lenses which you know will work well on any M43 body. Nonetheless, many of those 4/3rds lenses are superb and among the best that Olympus made. I have a 50-200 SWD and it's great. Others love the 12-60 or the 150 f2. Olympus made some great lenses for that format and they're fully autofocus and autoexposure on the MFT bodies. But, as others have said, they work best on the EM1. :)

10. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
  11. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    It averages about 1.5 sec. A lot of my shooting is focus and wait for the right moment so it's ok for me.

Fred