1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

HELP aperture 3 keeps crashing

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Bermuda, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Bermuda

Bermuda Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Bermuda
    Hey
    hope somebody can help me. For no reason what so ever my aperture 3 program keeps crashing :( I am going to do the basic stuff tonight reinstall it debug etc etc. HOWEVER lets say it is just not going to work. How do i export the photos out of it so i can view them with another program? I do not want to loose 1000+ photos

Many thanks and hope somebody can help

2. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    You could tyr opening them in iphoto.

3. Bermuda

Bermuda Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Bermuda
    Hello

thats what i want to do the problem i have it before it started to crash i had imported the photos from the camera into aperture therefore the file names etc have all changed and Iphoto can no longer read the files. :(

4. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    To bring up the program’s First Aid tools, restart Aperture holding down the Command and Option keys. at the same time.

REPAIR PERMISSIONS, REPAIR DATABASE, REBUILD DATABASE

The three choices for database troubleshooting are Repair Permission, Repair Database, and Rebuild Database. We’re not going to belabor the description of each as this long dialog box already describes each but here’s our general guide to the process.

Repair Permissions - This basically fixes permissions issues in the database, which is a very low-level repair. Generally if you’re seeing weirdness in your Library, this is not going to do much. If you’ve just moved your Library from one machine to another, start here though.

Repair Database – This used to be the highest level of database repair Aperture had to offer. This scans the whole database for issues and fixes anything it finds. It’s more thorough but more time intensive.

Rebuild Database - This is a very long process (relative to the other two) but the most complete. Aperture re-indexes every single image (not just ones where it finds a problem.) Go to this one when nothing else seems to be working.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I would also suggest that prior to rebuilding the database in Aperture.

1. Close all open applications
    2. Open Disk Utility -> select repair permissions
    3. On completion - restart
    4. Perform the above database rebuild procedure

There are several other steps one can take, some of them depend on the location of your Aperture Library. Is is resident on your startup drive? Is it on an off board or external drive? Is it on a second internal drive or partition?

Do you have a second Mac? If so.

Restart the Mac with Aperture on it WHILE HOLDING DOWN THE "T" key.

This will start the Mac in override FireWire mode.
    Connect your second Mac via FW cable.

Run disk utility repair on the now desktop mounted HD.

Then there's Disk Warrior....

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bermuda

Bermuda Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Bermuda
    Many thanks for all the help. I will keep you all updated :)

7. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I'm in the office, if you're in the USA send me a private message. I'll give you my office number and I'll walk you through the procedure if you like. It's a snowy day and most of my work is being done remotely anyway...

Cheers, Alan

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bermuda

Bermuda Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Bermuda
    msg sent m8

9. Bermuda

Bermuda Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Bermuda
    thanks for all your help:) its now up and running again :)

10. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Awesome.

Did rebuilding the database do the trick, or permissions repair?

11. Bermuda

Bermuda Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Bermuda
    i rebuilt the data base and it seemed to of worked. ( though now i have got a back up of the photos and don't wanna use the program just incase it does it again) :(

12. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    What version of OS X are you using?

Here is a free application: Carbon Copy Cloner

Works great, I even use it commercially.

Time machine works fine too, as long as you're running an OS which provides it as a backup strategy..

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bermuda

Bermuda Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Bermuda
    Morning. Thanks for the info. I am running os snow leopard. Does that help?

14. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    You should be able to use "Time Machine" to keep your entire system backed up. And, it will allow you a complete restoration of all files and settings if you have to replace your computer, or its hard drive.

15. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    [off topic] I thought the whole point of paying extra for a mac was to not have these problems [/offtopic]

:)

16. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Sent you a PM.

17. Bermuda

Bermuda Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Bermuda
    well that lasted long :( its back to crashing again. I added a total of about 10 photos to the program :( This is REALLY NOT FUNNY ANY MORE :(

Has anybody tried or heard anything about this program?

Pixelmator

thanks for EVERYBODYS help :)

18. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Bermuda,

When Aperture 3 first came out, I had many of the issues that you and countless others experienced. It was a quantum leap from Aperture 2 to 3 in the demands the program makes on the computer. Aperture 3 is VERY hard on your RAM but more so on the graphics card. Originally, I had nothing but frustration and spent hours on the phone with Apple support. I was originally running A3 on an older iMac. I was at a point that I needed to upgrade the iMac anyway and did so. With the new computer, I have had absolutely no issues. What I think this underscores is that A3 is geared to the newer processors and trying to run it on older models can easily lead to issues and frustration.

If you are in the same position hardware-wise that I was and don't want to upgrade your computer, I personally would not recommend using A3. If you are looking for a less expensive but fully capable program to use, I might suggest Adobe's Photoshop Elements. PSE 9 is designed for the mac and from what I have read gets good reviews.

edit photos, photo editing software program | Adobe Photoshop Elements 9

19. Bermuda

Bermuda Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Bermuda
    thanks for the info mate. Yep its looking like tis just down to LACK of power more than anything. O well u live and learn .

20. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello Bermuda,

in a past post I asked for lots more info on your machine...

I explained how to repair the Aperture database, but not knowing your machine info makes it impossible to fully diagnose the issue.

Go to the Apple - top left of your screen

Select- About this Mac
    Select - More Info

Go to the File menu

Select - Save As

Select Rich Text Format

Name it-save it- send it to me...

I'll tell you what's going wrong.

As mentioned in a private message to you, you can call me in my office and I'll walk you through the steps to fully diagnose the issue.

Cheers, Alan