Help adapting issues Kern Paillard

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by dumigron106, Oct 8, 2012.

1. dumigron106

dumigron106 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Asheville NC
    Emmanuel
    Hello,

I am having some issues adapting the Kern Paillard 50mm f1.4 AR and 25mm f:1.5 AR c mount lens to my Olmpus EP2 , the issue is that the thread seem to go past all 3 c mount apaters i have been using , any body have any luck adapting these to micro 4/3 ? cheers

p.s i have had no problems with my Kern Paillard 25mm f;1.4 AR lens

2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Not sure what you mean by "thread seems to go past". I had a 25mm f/1.5 AR and couldn't get it to focus to infinity because I couldn't get it to screw in far enough. What I've found in the past is that sometimes the best solution is to keep trying different C-mount adapters. At one time I had about 5 of them, purchased from various Asian sellers, all for about $7. Some were advised as "thin" or "slim"; others not. It's not just the thickness of the metal, it's the diameter of the recessed area, because if it's not wide enough the BARREL of some C-mounts will bottom out before the threads seat. Sorry I can't be of more help.

3. dumigron106

Sep 26, 2012
    Asheville NC
    Emmanuel
  4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Interesting. So what's the problem? Does it focus way PAST infinity? Are you afraid the lens is going to bump into either the shutter or sensor?

5. dumigron106

Sep 26, 2012
    Asheville NC
    Emmanuel
    it actually does not allow the adapter to seat or lock into place, because the barrel circled in red actually hits the sensor cover in the EP2, thus i cannot mount the lens unless i put a spacer between the lens and the adapter , then it allow me to focus only between 3 feet and 2" , forget infinity or even a decent range , thinking i might put it on the lathe and shave off a 1/32 off the rear barrel or a little more....and see

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Ah yes, I remember this issue. I had it with one lens, can't remember which. But the protrusion was nothing but metal (no glass or anything), so I just removed it by sanding! Actually didn't take that much time, since I started with 220 grit. I eventually removed enough to allow the lens to seat in the adapter.

If you have a lathe and are good with things like that I imagine that would be a better way.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dumigron106

Sep 26, 2012
    Asheville NC
    Emmanuel
    Perfect, thanks i will give it go , been using a mill and lathe for years building pre 1963 European motorcycles:wink: will keep you updated , on the 50mm the OD of the lens is larger than any c mount adapters so i will machine out threaded plug and put in a M39 adapter(replacing the M39 threaded plug but keeping the original 4/3 mount) ....

8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    dumigron,
    I remember the lens now: it was a Navitar 25mm f/0.95. I had to shave off almost 2mm to get it to seat. HOWEVER, I was able to remove the part that needed shaving so I didn't have to actually grind away with the glass attached, and didn't have to worry about getting grinding dust on the glass. So if there's any way to remove the part that needs to be milled I'd strongly advise it.

(Second thoughts: now I'm recommending you take your lens apart in addition to cutting it back . . . you might want to get some advice from a lens expert first! I'd hate to see you damage it.)

• Like Like x 1
  9. dumigron106

Sep 26, 2012
    Asheville NC
    Emmanuel
    Good advice ! will pay very close attention , i don't want to damage the lens either , thanks will keep you in the loop as we go :cool: also if i choose to let the lens go someday don't want someone else having to go thru this trouble ....always hated when folks advertise c mount will work on Micro 4/3 with adapter then it really doesn't...selling things just to make a quick buck, if i sell it then i want it to work as a tool not a paper weight

10. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You might try to measure how much clearence there is before starting to cut/grind/sand anything. Just get a close idea just how much material needs to be removed.

Also watch for rear elements that move in and out when adjusting focus. See if the moving part protrudes past where you will cut - no point in cutting deep only to find a moving element (which cannot be so easily trimmed) becomes a problem.

For example the Kowa 8mm F1.4 lens rear element bumps into the sensor glass near infinity focus.

If you want to get reckless the retaining ring for the rear element (on some lenses) can be removed and the lens element cemented into place to get a millimeter or so of extra clearence. This is a sure fire way to ruin a lens unless extreme care is taken. I prefer to use black silicone rtv which can generally be removed fairly easily if needed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dumigron106

Sep 26, 2012
    Asheville NC
    Emmanuel
    the excess material with taking into account the rear element movement is about 1/16, the amount of material that needs to be removed is about 1/32 so i have a couple tho wiggle room....cheers:smile: