1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help a newbie get going here on lens purchase

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Z-man, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Z-man

Z-man Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    So I am relative new to the 4/3 market. Just got a Lumix G3 with two of the X series lenses. Sold some Nikon stuff I wasn't using. Looking to expand my lens and wanted opinions on a couple options. Do I get the Leica 25mm or the 20/1.7?
    The Oly 45/1.8 or the Leica DG 45/2.8?

I am leaning towards the lesser cost lenses, but did like the OIS and macro capabilities of the Panasonic Leica 45.

Is the 7-14 worth the cost?

2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Welcome.

I think each one of those questions is responsible for several long and exhaustive threads where the pros and cons of each option has been debated ad infinitum.

Rather than wait for answers here, you'd be best served by checking those threads out, they're mostly very informative and helpful. Either way, you've got quite a bit of reading and some big decisions to make.

Haha....50 people, 51 different opinions !

Good luck.

;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    You also need to identify what you want to shoot.

It's easy for everyone to give their opinion but it could lead you down the wrong path if they're shooting things that you aren't planning on shooting

4. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    You can't go wrong with any of the lenses you mention but it obviously depends what you want.

I can only offer the following observations: -

20mm Pancake - fast, razor sharp, small & unobtrusive, affordable, great go anywhere lens
    25mm Leica - fast, extra razor sharp, larger, quite expensive, good go anywhere lens
    45mm Oly - fast, razor sharp, great portrait lens, good choice for short tele lens
    45mm Leica - quite fast, extra razor sharp, great macro lens and good short tele lens

When I had the 20mm & the 45mm Leica I found that I used them about 70-30% in favour of the 20mm.
    Now that I have the extra reach of the 25mm Leica I find that this ratio has changed to 80-20% in favour of the 25mm.

Don't know if this helps at all?

M