1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help - 20mm f/1.7 manual focus issues

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mf100, Nov 29, 2013.

1. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    Matthew
    I have a P20mm but it won't manually focus on either my EP3 or EM1. Is this an issue with my specific lens or is it generic to Olympus cameras?

2. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Did you enable manual focus in the camera?

3. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    Matthew
    Yes. MF enabled, but no joy.

4. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    My only other suggestion would be to try cleaning the electronic contacts on the lens. Have you tried it on a panasonic camera to see if it manually focuses?

• Like Like x 1
  5. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    Matthew
    Good thought, I hadn't tried cleaning the contacts.

If that doesn't worth I might pop into my local friendly camera store and try it on a panasonic model. Thanks.

6. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    Another common reason why the 20-1.7 lens won't autofocus is if you have a filter, threaded lens shade or step-up ring attached to the lens with it tightened all the way down. This will lock the AF mechanism, keeping it from turning.

At camera turn-on, the lens AF is initialized and if it detects no response (because the threaded adapter is too tight) it will disable AF. The solution is to turn off the camera, loosen the threaded adapter on the front of the lens, then turn on the camera again.

I often use a rubber collapsible lens shade and also sometimes an ND filter on my 20-1.7, and frequently have to check that the threads are secure but left free to turn, not tightened down completely. An inconvenience, yes; l but I like this lens enough to put up with the hassle.

~Joe