1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

HELP! 20mm doesn't fit on PM2

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tjdean01, Jun 13, 2013.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I just got it and I don't want to twist any harder or something is going to break. I already heard a creak. Has anyone else had this problem?

SOLVED

But holy hell is that tight! In normal situations I would get in there with a micro file or else press on the spring connectors on the inside of a camera but obviously I can't go that route. I actually touched a bit of oil to a plastic toothpick thing and touched it to the lens connectors and after putting it on the camera wiggled back and forth, back and forth and finally she seated. Uggh!

UPDATE: So I painstakingly pulled the lens off and found a shred of metal. Do not really want that on the sensor or the back glass of the lens. Vacuum cleaner? Uggh!

2. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I don't have to state that obvious that my 20mm does fit on my E-PM2. Some of the lenses do start out a little tight. It will probably get a small amount easier with time. Perhaps cleaning the mating surfaces really well would help.

3. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    For a while I had a Panny 20mm which was an exceptionally tight fit on my E-PL1.

4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013

I would exchange it.

5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    +1.

Regards,

Jim

6. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I would be very careful using oil around the lens connectors. You may want to consider something like DeoxIT.

Good luck,

--Ken

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My 20mm was a bit tight at first but not so much now. It wasn't so tight that I was afraid it was going to break though. It was just much harder to turn then all my other lenses. Now it is about the same as all my other metal mount lenses. The metal mounts are much tighter than the plastic kit zooms. I also find my m4/3 lenses to be tighter than my Nikkor lenses.

8. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    A piece of metal. Maybe it is galling. If you see a little trench dug into one of the mating surfaces, return it. Hopefully the lens is damaged and not the mount on the camera.

9. The Olympus 45/1.8 (mine included) has a history of having a tighter than usual mount, but even then not as bad as you are describing. My 20/1.7 lens mounts normally. It does sound that something is not quite right with your particular lens (and I'm assuming that you have no particular problems mounting other lenses on your camera?).

10. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    Yeah, my other lenses all mount fine, even the legacy adapter. I really don't think I damaged anything, but now that you guys mention it I think I want to go home and put my other lenses on just to make sure the camera's mount isn't damaged. I really dont think it is because the little pieces of metal in there kind of act like springs, right? I'll try when I get home but if that lens has damaged the camera and other lenses aren't 100% tight I'm going to be friggin' pissed!

11. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I have a Panasonic and three Olympus bodies. The body lens mount on the Panasonic is either made to tighter tolerances, better finished (lower RMS surface finish and/or breaking sharp edges), or a different material (body mounts are typically chrome plated brass or stainless steel). All lenses mount reasonably smoothly on the GX1 and E-M5, not so much on the Pens, with the E-PL5 the worst.

12. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    I talked to a friend who worked at Ritz Camera for 20 years and who teaches photography at the local university. Just by my description he said that I should not have even tried to force it on the camera.

So, I came home, wrestled to get it off, and put on the Oly 14-42, 40-150, and the legacy lens. They still fit fine so it seems I haven't damaged anything with the camera. I tried to put the Pan 20mm back on and still super tight. F this, I'm sending it back. Takes me over a week to make the $425 I paid for that camera and I'm not going to have the mount damaged or loose. If that happens there's no fixing it without dirtying the sensor. I'm sending it back to Amazon.

Serial number on the 20 mm: BR3DF002910