Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Boston Chris, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Boston Chris

Boston Chris Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2011
    Belmont, MA
    Hi from Boston. It's been a cold winter here on the east coast.
    I'm just starting to get really serious about photography.

Last year I graduated college with a communication degree in TV and Film Production, and working as an independent media producer, I've started doing more and more stills.
    I recently upgraded from a point and shoot camera to the Panasonic GH2 with 14-140mm kit lens. Also have a few Canon FD lens with adapter.

I use Aperture, Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Final Cut Pro, and a whole bunch of other PC and MAC software. I have professional broadcast video equipment as well.
    As a media professional I hope to someday be considered a creative DP and I absolutely love working with video, and stills, creating color and depth whenever possible.

I am also exploring possible graduate studies and classes for photography. If anyone is interested I will post my flickr account that I setup this past week, and will be steadily unloading images there.
    I want to attempt every style of photography and specifically work on mastering the light with appropriate use of depth of field, bokeh, low light photography, HDR, unusual compositions etc.

I look forward to learning new things from all of you.
    Anyone else do photography around MA?
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Welcome aboard from a fellow New Englander.

I'm down the road from you in Rehoboth, Ma about 10 minutes from Providence, RI.

Nice to have you here, you'll enjoy the level of information available.

Cheers, Alan
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Chris - you picked the right camera for your interests.
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi, welcome to the forum. Just add the flickr link to your signature - we'll find it.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Hi Chris! I'm just about 20 minutes south of Boston - yes, this winter is getting old. Snow again today, but what's new :) Not really a pro here, just someone very interested in preserving memories of my family - with the best possible tools, of course :)
  6. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    We must be in close proximity

Hello Hyubie,

i'm about 35-40 south of Boston, so we must be in pretty close proximity.

Nice to know their is a fellow MU-43'r so nearby!

7. trojancast

trojancast New to Mu-43

Feb 20, 2011
    Welcome Boston Chris

Welcome. While I live a few miles away, in Calgary, I often travel to Boston and really love your city.

Go SOX! :2thumbs:
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Welcome aboard Chris. Godspeed on your photographic voyage.

Your choice of words got me thinking ... "Mastering the light." Albeit a very common term. I guess if you perform your work in the studio (or equal), one can master the light. But working with what is provided by available light ... the best one can do is recognize the light, work with the light and not control or fight against it.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
  9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Chris! Be sure to check out our Video forum and please do edit your signature line to include your Flickr stream.:thumbup:

In addition to your signature line, we've got a tab up on the upper right called "Links" where members have several options to choose from.

Glad to have you here, Chris, and I will look forward to seeing your photographs and more!
  10. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
  11. Boston Chris

Boston Chris Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2011
    Belmont, MA
    Seems like many highly intelligent people here, I love it. Thanks for the welcome.

I've gotten my new flickr loaded with some good stuff already.

You can check the link in my signature. I just figured out how to do HDR, will have to go on more hdr shoots and get stuff like churches and architecture.

I'll start to be alot more active on these boards I promise !