Hello :)

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by cmercer, Feb 2, 2011.

1. cmercer

cmercer Mu-43 Regular

Good morning!

My name is Chris and I am based in Lancaster, UK.

I recently purchased an Olympus EP1 which unfortunatly developed a hot cell. The chaps I purchased the camera couldn't replace it for another EP1 so I ended up with an EPL1. Admittedly I was dubious first although I genuinly love the little camera.

I am fairly new to photography although it is something I enjoy and I am keen to learn more about. I start a photography course next week and I can't wait! :biggrin:

Thanks, Chris
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Welcome aboard from snowy New England!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Hi Chris and welcome! People seem to love both their Olympus and Panasonic m4/3 cameras. I have both a GF1 and G1 and they are terrifc. I am an old Nikon user since film days, but these little wonders have captivted me - I'm a total convert. Am getting great pictures with both cameras.

Great on taking the photography course -I took a workshop in the Adirondack Mountains (USA) of upstate NY this summer and you always learn something. I used my G1 for the total time in the workshop and it worked out great. Everyone else had their big Canons and Nikons.

Best wishes.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome Chris, and Hello from Edinburgh. Your E-PL1 is a great camera, and you'll be able to do a lot with it - it's very versatile. I have an E-P1, a G1, and a GF1. The DSLR and compacts don't get used much since I took up m4/3!

Enjoy your course :smile:

All the best,

5. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Welcome Chris. Hope you'll find this forum welcoming and that you'll soon start sharing your photos here!

6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Chris. Did you or the shop try pixel mapping to turn off the hot pixel? It's in the menu of Oly's and I usually run it with a new camera to avoid future problems.
  7. cmercer

cmercer Mu-43 Regular

Its easy to see why they love them with the quality they produce in such a small neat package. I have been considering purchasing a used medium format camera. My girlfriend has a small selection of Canons and I bought her a Yashica Mat twin lens reflex for Christmas. They are all so much fun (if a little expensive at times)

I am very excited about this! Your course sounds amazing, I have always wanted to travel the USA. When I do I'll be sure to pack my E-PL1 :D Its also great to hear you did the course with a G1! I plan to do my course with an E-PL1 and I'm expecting perhaps a few strange looks. My father doesnt see it as a real camera, neither does my girlfriend. I'm looking forward to proving them wrong.

I didn't, i'm gutted as I never new this existed. Dammit :(
    To be fair the EP1 although a lovely camera always seemed to produce very noisy pictures. Although I suppose this could be down to the sensor, if it has a hot pixel?

Thank you, everyone for the warm welcome :D
  8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Welcome aboard, Chris!

You will have no difficulties proving them wrong.:2thumbs: Perhaps they'd like to stop by the forums, too?:biggrin:

Very glad to have you Chris, and I look forward to seeing your pictures very soon!
  9. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oi, Chris 1 and Chris 2. Welcome here the forum
    See ya round like a suasage roll.

10. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    • Like Like x 1
  11. cmercer

cmercer Mu-43 Regular

• Like Like x 1