1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Ateesh, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Ateesh

Ateesh Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2016
    Singapore
    Hi there. Just joined the forum. Recently moved to Singapore from the States (NJ) and still getting used to the equatorial light!

Used to shoot DSLRs (last was a Pentax K-5) and then compacts (the Ricoh GR and the Fuji X100s). Currently own a Ricoh GR (semi-retired), a Fuji X70 (slowly getting used to it), the LX-100 (love it) and on the brink of ordering an EM-10 mark ii. Don't have GAS, just want something fast, light and the ability to shoot between 24MM and 120MM. Main areas of interest are street, urban exploration, travel and some landscape.

Some great pics and photographers on this forum. Look forward to learning and contributing.

Have a small website here: Zenfolio | Spode and a blog here: Zenfolio | Spode | Blog.

• Like Like x 2
  2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Welcome!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Hey! Nice site and photos! I especially liked the photo-a-day projects, as someone who has tried that project before and came away with less than a full month's-worth.

That sounds like an exciting move, I am sure you will come away with a lot of terrific photos, since you will be seeing with fresh eyes in your very different new environs.

The EM10 ii is a really nice camera by all accounts. I'll throw out, since you mentioned wanting something around 120mm at the longer end, the Sigma 60mm f2.8. Super affordable prime that is nonetheless amazingly sharp and just renders magnificently... as the same image thread here will I think prove.

4. Ateesh

Ateesh Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2016
    Singapore
    Thanks twokatmew and agentlossing. Will certainly look at the Sigma 60mm f2.8.

BTW, any views on the kit lens 14-42 and the 40-150 f4-5.6? The camera alone costs $549, with the kit lens $599 and with both lenses $699. Any thoughts?

5. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Don't know about the 14-42, but the 40-150 is much better than you would expect. You can get it for low prices both new and used. Check out the pics from it on here.

6. mrpbotond

mrpbotond New to Mu-43

Jun 17, 2016
    I have both 14-42 and 40-150. They are just perfect for me. I use them mostly wide open and my pictures are surprisingly sharp. Autofocus is equally very fast except in very low light because of the small aperture. The 40-150 is a bit sharper in my experience. It's absolutely worth to buy a double lens kit.

7. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2016
    Hah, i would sell 1/2 of the gear and go for pro lenses if you're into zooms, or get myself few primes.
    I'm pentaxian too - my k-x crippled slowly away - first AF failed then the compensation dial. I was looking for a decent upgrade for quite a time, and was quite dissapointed, that despite 2x mp count and new technology pentax doesn't give me better results with my lenses, than i already have.
    Gladly i have the possibility to test camera's, and after testing quite a few ff/aps-c i ended up buying em5ii with 12-40 pro. I haven't regret the decision ever since.

I still miss some shallow DOF with the pro lens, but if you are into lens adapting and manual work, you can get exactly same results with your lenses and focal reducers.)

Sent from my D5503 using Mu-43 app

8. Ateesh

Ateesh Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2016
    Singapore
    Ron and mrpbotond, thanks for the heads up. Good to know that the 40-150 is pretty good.

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps: While the 12-40 pro lens may be fantastic, I would like to first familiarize myself with the Olympus system before I commit to spending $900 on a single lens. It's the same reason I did not go for either of the weather sealed OMD cameras. I suspect (once I have had a chance to play with the 14-42) that I will gravitate towards 1-2 primes). There are also some film era lenses that I could test with an adaptor.

Many thanks for all the friendly advice.

9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'd honestly either go with one of the pro lenses (Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 or Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8) or with primes, just because the larger maximum aperture is nice to have both to keep ISO low and because M4/3 sensors produce more DoF and diffraction sets in earlier. Lenses which end at f5.6 are kind of ridiculous in my opinion since most of the time I don't even stop that far down even when I want lots of DoF. It's nice to have the option to get more background blur at longer focal lengths.