Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by wgm, May 31, 2010.

1. wgm

wgm New to Mu-43

May 31, 2010
    Hello from Tacoma, Washington

I shoot 4x5 and FF DSLR. I recently dropped and broke my Olympus E-500 and am considering a micro four thirds camera for my 12-60 mm lens.

Any suggestions?

• Like Like x 1
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

wgm, welcome to mu-43.com!

There are numerous threads in the Panasonic and Olympus forums, as well as in the This or That forum that discuss the merits of the different cameras, and we have a Review section (see the tab up at the top of the forum window), as well. If you haven't had a chance to read through some of these, they'd probably help a great deal... I'd suggest you either add some of your questions to one of those threads about particular cameras, etc., or start a new thread in the This or That forum so that more of our members will see your questions. I have no doubt that you'll get plenty of helpful opinions.:wink:

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself, wgm and glad to have you here.:biggrin:
  3. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome here !
  4. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    all the offerings of micro 4\3 thus far have been fine machines

that goes for oly and panny both , the differences between models exist but do not detract from their utility as excellent picture taking machines

what do you like / and how will you use it ?

e-p1 e-p2 e-pL1 g1 g2 gf-1 g-10 some are shapes handle like rangefinders without finders some like small 'slrs' others have the form factor of rangefinder and have very good evfs and some are excellent like my gf-1 but have very mediocre evfs

i own the ep1 and gf1 and love them both, but the epL1 looks like a killer machine at a great price that can use the best evf of all [as the ep2 can]

looking is half the fun
  5. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    The street shooters tend to pocket the smaller cams with pancakes or larger up to 50mm, and this format certainly allows discretionary shooting in public. Others with larger lenses are mounting them on G1's and the like. Some of the older tiny chromes look very good on the small bodies.

The native lenses are all very light, and this is a real plus for the mu 4/3rds user. The drawback is that they are hellish expensive.

For me it was what felt comfortable in the hand. I tried both form factors, as many here have done also.

Have fun!

Bokeh D
  6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome - :43: is a great addition or alternative to the big dslrs.

Unfortunately the 12-60 does not focus as well on these bodies due to the different focus method used.