1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

hello

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by kahren, Mar 21, 2010.

1. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    hi everyone,
    i just sold my 5d, got tired of carrying it around, and only really using it indoors.
    i recently tried out an e-p1 and i think i liked it enough to do this move, i hope i am not wrong. i am looking to get panny g1 since i wanted a viewfinder and the ep-2 with the finder is just a little costly at this point. really looking forward to this m43 stuff :)

2. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    mu-10-sm.

Like you I just sold my 5D and Canon gear. The G1 was my choice
    because of the excellent EVF. I actually have more gear now than I
    had before... :) The legacy glass thing can be quite addicting!!

The only thing that you might miss is the ability to crop. You can and
    will still crop but the full frame 5D allowed so much area before you
    noticed grain.

3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Welcome Kahren, good luck with your purchase... make sure you get a chance to try the G1 before making your final choice, also check out the E-PL1 which has the EVF port but not included.

Cheers

Brian

4. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    Hey Kahren, welcome

Pete

5. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    hodad66,
    i never really cropped with the 5d, i just run around until i like what i see in the viewfinder. so i don' think i will really have a problem with this, though those couple times i did crop it is nice to have to be able to do so without loosing much.

Brian Mosley,
    i went to BH photo the other day in NY, to look at the ep1 and ep2 and epl1 and gf1 and g1. i didn't like gf1 evf at all. the ep2 viewfinder was about same as the g1 the epl1 one they don't sell without the lens and i don't think i will have a use for the kit lens really. the ep1 obviously has no port for the evf and i think i really want a evf for now to help me focus with manual glass that i am planning on getting. i would ultimately want
    ep2 with evf but its too pricey for me i didn't want to spend so much on the body. so i decided on the g1 for now, and i think later i will get ep2 with evf unless they will come out with something better by then :)

6. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome Kahren ! This is the right place. G1 ia a great camera!

7. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    I picked up 2 different G1's on the bay for $315 each
    and purchased the 45-200, then got the 20/1.7 as a gift.
    When I need AF I'll use the pany lenses but mostly I play
    with my myriad old glass...... :biggrin:

8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Welcome kahren, glad you found your way here. And it's always nice to add another New Yorker, too.:biggrin:

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Welcome, Kahren! I think the G1 is a great choice. Definitely best bang for buck if you like to work with an EVF.

10. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi kahren, good to hear you did your research... The G1 is terrific value for money - an excellent choice.

Cheers

Brian