Hello.. :)

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by timothysoong, Aug 10, 2011.

1. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Hello there,

I'm new here.. And I'm new to cameras.. Been messing around with the settings and all with my newly bought Lumix GF2.. My first m43.. My previous cameras were all digital cam and I always use auto-mode. So I have no basic idea of how to use a camera manually.. If there's any guide/tips/tutorials anyone can tell me with the GF2. I'd be pleased, btw im using the 14mm lens.

Thanks in advance.

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome to the forum. Lots of info spread through this site and ask if you have a specific question.

3. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    hmm okay.. Well, I've doing a lot of research for almost a week and fiddling around with the iso, aperture, shutter speed.. and somehow I got an idea what they do and all..

And I am thinking of getting a new lens which's being able to zoom.. No ideas about lenses, I'd like some recommendation.. I read through and pana 14-42 and 14-45 seems to be a good one to start with. But i'd still like to hear from y'all..

and secondly.. how do i go about using my gf2 to take b&w shots? which settings to alter?

Thanks again

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, 14-42 and 14-45 are both good zoom lenses. The 14-45 is very slightly better, while the 14-42 should be easier to find at a low price if you're buying used.

As for changing to B&W, I don't remember how to do that. You'll get more help if you start a thread in the Panasonic Cameras forum with a title that indicates what you're looking for. Welcome to the site!

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    There are two main ways to get black and white shots. Easiest is to set it in camera. Best image quality is to do it in software on your computer. The first way gives you something to use straight out of camera. The second allows you to do so much more like different types of toning and mixing colour and monochrome in one shot.

What software are you using , if any, to play with your photos?

Also, let's us know what lenses you have and what you feel you're missing out on and it will make it easier to give you recommendations.

Welcome to the forum.

Gordon

6. Welcome to the forum. Most of the Panasonics have a "Film mode" button which allows you to select from a variety of picture styles including B&W, but I'm not sure if that button made it onto the GF2 or if it has become a menu or touchscreen item.

7. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I'm using Photoshop CS3.. Well with a pc I'd know how to change a pic to B&W.. Anyway, I'd stick to using the PC then..

And I only have the 14mm that comes in the box when I bought the camera. and as i've mentioned I feel the need of a lens that is zoomable.. And I went to a local store they're selling the 14-42mm and 45-200mm lens

The salesman said if I'd buy the 14-42, he'd recommend me to get the 45-200 since prices does not vary too much between the two lens... And since I already have the 14mm one for close shots.. Well, idk.. :\

Thanks again..