Hello ! New Olympus E-pm2 user and photography novice

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by jadwrx, Dec 17, 2013.

1. jadwrx

jadwrx New to Mu-43

Dec 17, 2013
    Hello folks,

As the title states, I've recently purchased an E-pm2 with 14-42mm & 40-150mm Lenses on special from B&H photo.
    It was a great price and I am eagerly awaiting my new camera.
    I've only ever used a basic point and shoot but I've always been fascinated by photography and it's ability to convey so much via imagery.
    I did a lot of research on cameras and settled on the E-pm2 after reading many reviews. It seems like a great camera to get my feet wet with and learn the basics.

If there are any books or tutorials that I can take advantage of I'd love to hear about them. I'm going to do some reading on the site but if any experienced members have some resources handy they can point me to I'd appreciate it !

Best regards,
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome aboard! You might try a copy of "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It's an excellent book and an easy read. He also has several other fine books as well. :)
  3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US

This is a great book and a terrific place to start!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Welcome, John!

I'll chime in with RevBob and Margaret on "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson being an excellent resource.

Enjoy the new gear!

5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the user group and I hope you love your new kit (what a great deal!).

Some of the folks here turned me onto Bryan Peterson, and I have and love a few of his books.
  6. jadwrx

jadwrx New to Mu-43

Dec 17, 2013
    Thanks for the welcome everyone !

I'm going to get that book by Bryan Peterson, thanks for the recommendation. It looks like a ton of people on Amazon love it too judging by all the 5 star reviews.
  7. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Aye, I have his third edition and while some of his photographs can be quite intimidating they also spur me on and inspire me to do better myself.

Any views on Michael Langford's 'Starting Photography'?

Oh, I'm new here myself so welcome from a fellow traveller :thumbup:
  8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I highly recommend Scott Kelby's series of books titled "The Digital Photography Book". There are four volumes and you can get them in a boxed set. I think they just did an update to the first two. Not only are the books informative, they are easy and fun to read.
  9. jadwrx

jadwrx New to Mu-43

Dec 17, 2013
    Thanks man, same to you !

Picked up "Understanding Exposure" today. Will check out the others too when I get done with this.

Thanks again for all the suggestions folks !
    • Like Like x 1