Hello! Just ordered the G2!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Kevstarr, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Kevstarr

Kevstarr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2011

Im new to M43 cameras and have a lot to learn. Previously I had a Sony A560, but had to sell it because of financial issues. I was set on saving up for a Nikon D7000 or D300s, but that would take me awhile because of money flow. Since I have a couple of Minolta MD lenses(50F1.7 & 135F3.5), I thought it would be wise to look into a camera for the mean time and eventually turn into my back up camera. I want to get into steet photography and I wouldn't want to be carrying around a DSLR all the time, so I did my research and I got a really good deal for a G2 that I didn't want to pass up, so I pulled the trigger and bought the camera, hopefully it will be here by this week.

I ordered the Fotodiox adapter to go along with the lenses. Anyone have experience with this adapter?Good? I believe the FOV will be 2x because of the sensor? I'm looking for something wide and I wouldn't want to spend too much on a pancake lens, but I did hear about CCTV lenses? I'm thinking of an primes between 12 - 17, if not, a 25 should be good enough?

Anyways, I look forward on experimenting and shooting with the G2!

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
  2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Welcome! You could aways get a 14mm2.5 lens second hand on here
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I've had some Fotodiox stuff. I thought they were nice. I have a G2 (and really think it's great BTW). The Panasonic 14, 20 and Olympus 17 are all excellent options. I like the Panasonic 14. It's super quite, focuses fast and does not command the premium the Panasonic 20 does. I find the G2 is also big fun with legacy glass. My favorites are the OM 50/1.4, 50/1.8 and the 24/2.8 (good quality but don't break the bank). Wide angle unfortunately can get pricey when looking at legacy lenses because of the 2x multiplier. to get the film equivalent of a 28mm you need to look at a 14mm legacy lens and those do not come cheap.

Enjoy the G2 it's a great camera.
  4. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Congrats on getting your hands on a great camera. I agree with the other guys, the 14mm is a nice lens. Someone just posted one for sale for a little over $200.
  5. If!

Good choice, great value. More I use the G2, the more I appreciate it. In terms of function & ergonomics I really like it. Into dials & buttons vs. touchscreen. Just feels right with whatever lens is mounted on the body. Not too small, not too big.

IFs: I had some spare $$s a 2nd G2, before the inventory is depleted would be ordered. The GFX-1. All mu43 funds need to be stashed for a potential purchase. Have a GF-1 to back up the G2.
  6. Gerald

Gerald Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2011
    Congratulations on a solid purchase. I have a G1 and love it. I also have the fotodiox adapter and it works just the way it is supposed to, so it is very good value for money. I just keep it on my most used OM lens when my kitlens is on the camera. Then I put the OM lens and adapter with the cap on the back in the camerabag. Makes for quick changes of glass like you normally would when changing lenses. Enjoy the camera!
  7. Kevstarr

Kevstarr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2011
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm patiently just waiting for my camera to arrive. Hopefully I can find something a bit wider, but for now, I'll do what I can with the equipment I have.
  8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Congrats on the new camera and welcome to the user group!
  9. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The 14 seems the best wide prime bang fer yer buck, you can prolly get a used 17 cheaper tho, since so many have them from kits
    Would 28 or 34 suit you more for st pics?

- Eliot
  10. Kevstarr

Kevstarr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2011
    I believe the 14 would be pretty good, but if the price on the 17 is reasonable I may rethink things. I think 28 would be better because I'm mainly going to use my wide angle for shooting at parties for like group shots. But it would also come in hand for general street shooting.
  11. Kevstarr

Kevstarr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2011
  12. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Don't get another battery unless you find that your current battery doesn't last long enough. No point in aimlessly spending $40 on a product you won't use. I kept almost buying one for a music festival I went to, and I'm glad I didn't. Mine lasted me the whole time. Just use your camera to shoot; don't fall into the trap of checking and admiring each picture after you take it. That's what the computer is for, later.

If you must have another battery, and you decide to go third-party, make sure that it's a chipped battery that works with the G2. Many do not.

Any of the wide lenses are great. Panasonic fisheye, Samyang fisheye, Olympus 12mm, Panasonic 14mm, Olympus 17mm. Obviously some are better, but the Olympus 17mm is good for the price used, since it comes in so many kits.
  13. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I got an extra. And glad I did. After shootin for awhile and closing up shop, I can wake up the next day and totally not worry how much longer the partially drained battery will last. I only charge wen they deplete to the point the "battery empty" screen shows.
  14. Kevstarr

Kevstarr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2011
    Thanks. I already set the brightness in my LCD screen down. And I turned off my LCD display. I only check my pictures if I really need to.

I'll keep that in mind, I'll see how good battery life is, instead of picking up another one, I'm sure it would be pretty good?

I found a brand-new Olympus 17 for 180, so I might look into that.

I have a couple of questions about focusing, what is everyone's focus method when it comes to using manual lenses? Are there specific setting I should set on in the camera settings?
  15. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I zone focus for st. Or rather I attempt it;) still working on my st-ness