Hello, hello

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by poisson rouge, Apr 3, 2013.

1. poisson rouge

poisson rouge Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
    I was writing a response for the "Time to upgrade" thread when I realized I was writing a bit too much and this was getting a bit of an introduction post about myself :) So I thought I would post it here:

I dont know, I guess I upgrade mostly out of emotional reasons. I often browse the used-camera offers and when I see something at a really good price I check if it's worth it.

But yeah, the general direction is fixed. As for my case personally, I came from the Point and Shoot cameras to MFT. My first camera was the phenomenal E-PL1 which I bought in summer 2011 after extensive reading about which way to go for an upgrade as my old PS had died (some cheap Olympus P&S, it lasted only one vacation to Belarus then the lens was stuck...).

So I read a lot about MFT and it seemed to me the perfect solution. A huge upgrade in image quality as compared to the P&S I used to use but still handy and almost pocketable, to travel light. The E-PL1 was a revelation to me because it was what I learned manual controlling my photography with. I guess I am from the generation of the Auto Focus kids, I only knew auto focus, for me photography before MFT was just about pressing the shutter, hoping for the best and let the camera do all the work. With my E-PL1 I began to learn about all the basics and I became addicted quickly.

At first new MFT lenses were out of reach for me because the (even then already very cheap) EPL1 had cost all my budget. I bought it for 300€ in the kit with the 14-42 II and that was the most I had ever spent for photography purposes (it was all gonna change soon I guess). If only I had known what kind of money-demanding drug photography was.

So I experimented with legacy lenses. I had some Minolta MD mount lenses because I had inherited those old Minolta SLRs from my parents. I bought an adapter and had most of my fun with the Rokkor 50mm 1.7.

It became more and more clear at this stage that photography was really to be a new kind of hobby of mine. Then I bought an old soviet Zenit SLR to experiment with film and get another great legacy lens, I had seen examples of before online, the Helios 44-2, which produces great bokeh and costs little to nothing.

That was my kit for about a year and a half, maybe more. Then I bought my first real proper MFT lens which was the Panny 14mm 2.5. Because I liked the wide-angle FOV and I had always yearned for a faster prime. The 20mm 1.7 was always in my head but it was too expensive so I bought the 14mm 2.5 which I could get for a houndred € less. I thought at that time that this decision did made sense, I know now, that it did not. You cannot make yourself love a lens only because of money and if you really wanted to have one lens you should buy it and only it and not some cheaper substitute.

I ended up keeping the panny 14mm 2.5 only for some months (4 or 5). The FOV was too wide for most of my liking. I used it and loved the size and little weight which made my E-PM1, to which I had upgraded at that time because I could get it for 50€ of actual cost after selling my E-PL1, really pocketable.

But I still wanted the 20mm 1.7, so now, finally, I sold the 14mm 2.5 and bought the lens I had wanted from the beginning the 20mm 1.7.

Now I am really happy with my selection of lenses in MFT. Perhaps regretting a little that I have given back the 45mm 1.8 Olympus, that was once again for money reasons. I only tried it out but realized I couldn't afford it. It will probably be the lens that I get again when I have the money.

Other than that I am happy in MFT, perhaps only looking for a better sensor when time comes, but this will be in some years time I think. When a used E-PL5, E-PM2 or perhaps even the OM-D approach prices of the current E-PM1. I dont know when that will be, when that time will come I will think about upgrading the body. So far I will be very happy with my current MFT kit I think.

For some weird reason though, now that I am an amateur photographer I also started taking pictures with a real DSLR, an "old" Nikon D40 which I could get used rather cheap.

The Nikon DX system for which I have since also purchased the 35mm 1.8 additionally to the kit lens. I really like taking pictures with it too, but it is something different to MFT. I think it has pros but also cons, so my intension is to stay in both systems.

Sometimes I really enjoy bringing something more "professional" and I also must say that somehow the image quality just seems a bit sharper with the d40. But I am very aware of the fact that there are many photos I would have never taken without my E-PM1. Because of its size it is so unconspicuous and I enjoy freely experimenting with it much more without thinking much. So it is really worth a bunch.

Also for holidays or short trips I think it is amazing what a small kit like E-PM1 & P 20 1.7 can get you, I would never sell my E-PM1. I love it so much, I have enhanced it with a nice red leather skin from aki asahi now it is so beautiful!

I think both systems complement eachother. I am very at home with the MFTs and I often think the community is better because it is so refreshingly unpretentious. I think with the new MFT system the true essence of photography comes to life again. People, amateurs, unpretentiously enjoying their cameras and capturing easily the soul of life in all its beauty.

I know that DSLR users are also like that and I don't even want to say something bad about it. It's just, that DSLRs always have this certain "Pro" aura around them. For some people this is great for others this is a bit limiting.

That's why I love MFT, that's why I have bought Olympus Pen. Because I love the whole tradition of the PEN cameras. Photography for everyone. I like it it is so simple and beautiful.

But even having said all that, how much I love the MFT system. At the moment, I think my next purchase will be a new Nikon DX body. Looking at the D5100 atm, but still saving money. But I'm only thinking about this because I have a great MFT kit, I would never sell my MFT kit for a pure DSLR kit.
    I think MFT is more where my heart is at :drinks: :43:
  2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    Is that "red fish"? A Louisiana staple! UMM UMM
  3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Welcome to the forum, Poisson Rouge!