hello hello

Matt Leaf

New to Mu-43
hi there, first post

just bought a GF1

it arrived today

i did lots of research about buying a new camera and this looks like an awesome one!

previous i owned a canon eos back in the film days, also had a canon powershot until one of my friends broke it

finally a new camera!

so i'm after some tips!

anything anyone can recommend to make the camera awesome

whats better AVCHD or MOTION JPEG?

also anyone using the 1080p hack yet? cons? probs? should i do it or will it nuke the camera??

thanks peeps!

will do a lot of reading around!

matti

kwaphoto

Mu-43 Regular
Welcome! My comments are below within your quote

hi there, first post

just bought a GF1
:thumbup:
it arrived today
:2thumbs:
i did lots of research about buying a new camera and this looks like an awesome one!previous i owned a canon eos back in the film days, also had a canon powershot until one of my friends broke it , finally a new camera!

Good decision, you will enjoy it!

so i'm after some tips! anything anyone can recommend to make the camera awesome
Read the manual, especially if you are coming from a compact or don't have experience with DSLRs. The camera is awesome as is. Which lens did you get it with? I think the 20 f/1.7 makes it "more awesome" (YMMV, but a lot of people agree with this!) I did add the "skin" to give it a leather look and improve the grip (the threads about these items are in the accessories). I did recently pick up the EVF for it as well and I'm very happy with it so far (again, posted in the accessories sub-forum)

whats better AVCHD or MOTION JPEG?
Personally, I use the motion jpg. It's 720p is great for me, it gives a single video file that is easy to archive directly out of camera. The AVCHD does offer some advantages but is also a format that must be converted prior to archival. It's a lot like looking at the folder structure of a DVD based movie. There isn't a single video file to archive with AVCHD until you convert it (iMovie '09 on the Mac does a good job). Your choice, I just prefer the motion jpg for my workflow.
also anyone using the 1080p hack yet? cons? probs? should i do it or will it nuke the camera??
Yes, people are using it...at their own risk. I would not recommend doing so at all as it would void your warranty. However, after the warranty period it is somewhat less of an issue. Also, the hack for 1080p, I don't think the risk vs. benefit of 1080 vs 720 is big enough to justify the potential issues. YMMV

matti

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Hello Matti and Welcome to the home of m4/3rds :friends:

I just came across this video, taken with the GF1 + 20mm f1.7... something for you to aspire to :biggrin:

Cheers

Brian

Stephen Geis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Welcome Matti! The GF1 is a great camera, and as Brian pointed out in his post a decent piece of equipment to capture video too!

Stephen

Latest threads

Top Bottom