1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

hello guys panasonic 12-32mm kit lens or olympus 14-42ez kit lens?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by rav, Jul 28, 2015.

1. rav

rav Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 28, 2015
    I have a em10 with me which came with 14-42ez kit lens , the lens was good , but does it make sense to swap it with the 12-32 Panasonic lens which comes with the gm1 ?

which in your valued opinion is more sharper and good with colours ?

the reason is I want a small compact multi purpose lens on my em10 for everyday use which I can use for landscape and other here and there pics .

How do they compare in terms of colour rendition and sharpness ?

Has anyone used the Panasonic 12-32mm on em10 ? and how was the experience ?

thanx in advance ,

2. rav

rav Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 28, 2015
    Any suggestions guys ?

3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    My wife has the EZ lens on her E-M10 and has taken some nice pictures with it. Rather than swap one kit zoom for another, why don't you pick a prime instead, say the O25?

• Like Like x 1
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If You were starting from zero, I think the 12-32 is a slightly better lens. Since you already have the 14-42, though, I think I'd just stick with it. It's not going to be night and day different and you are going to lose money trading to what is essentially the same lens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    If you want a decent little power zoom stick with your 14-42EZ.
    If you want a zoom down to 12mm go for it, or buy a used 12-50 which are really very cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Based on the reviews I've read the P12-32 is probably just slightly better in terms of optical performance (sharpness, color rendition, etc.), although I think you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference in output between the two side-by-side unless you're doing some serious pixel peeping or printing really large. In terms of IQ both are near the bottom of the :mu43: lens range, which is NOT to say that either is bad, but if you're looking for the ultimate in IQ there are better options (including any of the not-quite-as-compact "kit" 14-42/45s). As such, I don't think swapping one for the other simply for IQ is likely to be worthwhile.

I would make the decision of which to choose based primarily on the features:
    • O14-42 EZ offers power zoom while the P12-32 zooms only manually. This could be a consideration if you ever control your E-M10 remotely (via the smartphone app) -- in this setting you can zoom the Olympus lens from the app, but not the Panasonic.
    • P12-32 offers OIS which makes it a better choice for Panasonic shooters. In this zoom range, the E-M10's IBIS is probably superior, so this may not be a concern for you.
    • Obviously the P12-32 is wider, while the O14-42 EZ offers more reach. Since you mention you like to shoot landscapes the wider maximum angle of view (84° vs. 75°) may be significant for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Been happy with the 12-32mm on my E-PL5. Only complaint is no manual focus.

9. rav

rav Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 28, 2015
    The thing is guys i may get the 12-32 with gm1 which is hardly used for very less money . And then was thinking to sell of my olympus kit lens and keep the panasonic one .
    Does it make sense ? Or i shall straight go for a olympus 25mm

10. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I think you are comparing different things.

If you want to buy a prime is fine, a 25 or 45 or a 60 or another one depending on what you need it for and price. If you are after the ultimate IQ primes are (with very few exceptions) better then the kit zoom. At the same time they are not magic, just a little better sharpness and contrast, that's it. IQ differences most of the time just do not matter because the kit zooms are already very good. Getting exposure and WB right, using best aperture, focusing in the right place, working with the available light and not against, maybe a tripod or flash and good post processing can make a lot of difference.
    Wider aperture is the biggest clear difference and this matters to shoot in low light and to get more isolation of the subject from the background (especially with tele lenses). And using a prime can be more (or less) fun to use.

For landscapes having a 12mm on the zoom instead of a 14mm is usually a good thing, but not essential. And you could later add a 45/1.8 or 42.5/1.7 or a sigma 60 if you need a tele. Or try to understand better if and how your current kit is limiting you.

If the price of the GM1 kit is good you can try and then resell it all if you do not like it with very little money lost.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  11. rav

rav Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 28, 2015
    If there is no great difference in image quality between both i will pass on the deal . And better a get a good prime for me . Thanks very much guys .

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I have the 12-32 on my Em10 walking around Alexandria VA today. I'll post some shots for you. So far so good. I forgot how handy that 12 end can be.

13. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Hereford, UK
    Martin Connolly
    I have the 12-32 on my E-M10 and it suits it really well. However I also have the P14-45 and I can't see any difference in the quality of images TBH.
    In fact I find the 12 end much more useful so I'm selling the 14-45 and replacing it with a Sigma 19mm but if you already have the 14-42EZ it's probably not worth changing unless you really want to go that bit wider.

• Like Like x 1
  14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    belair-L.

The 12-32 works fine on the EM10. It can hunt a little bit in low light but nothing really noticeable.

• Like Like x 1
  15. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    I have the 12-32 on a GM1 / GM5 and first I thought I would never use it as I like to shoot primes. But I found out it is great lens especially for going to 12mm. It's surprisingly pretty sharp for what it is, and I find myself using it more and more.

Ive read this article a while back and maybe it would be of help to you:
    http://cyleow.blogspot.com/2014/01/lumix-g-vario-12-32mm-on-om-d-e-m5.html

Its not my article. But basically the author states the in-camera correction wont happen when its mounted to an olympus body. I assume it would also make a difference if you shoot raw or jpg.

16. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    He's only talking about the colourful chromatic aberration purple/green edges. Which is important to note.
    It's been that way even since the old G1.

17. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I bought a used copy of both (one from Ulfric!) in order to test them. There wasn't a huge difference, but the 12-32 is slightly sharper, goes to 12mm and is a manual zoom rather than power-zoom. For all three reasons I kept the 12-32.

18. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I know one fella who loves his 14-42EZ for it's rather good manual-focus,
    so if that's important ... keep it.

19. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I've never used the 14-42 but am happy with my 12-32. I use it on both an E-M10 and GM5.

20. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Also consider the Panasonic 14 - 42mm Mk2 - super compact and highly rated by several members here
    Rob